Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Accounting - Ratio

Options
  • 14-02-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I've been told that it is effectively impossible to score full marks in the interpretation of accounts question. Does anybody know if this is true?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Page 20 onwards of the Chief Examiner's Report from 2011 may help:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/LC_Accounting_2011_Chief_Examiners_Report.pdf (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaunadug

Both my accounting teachers said the same thing! I have a feeling suspense is definitely coming up this year so I hope it's an exageration

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mattiekav

shaunadug wrote: »
    Both my accounting teachers said the same thing! I have a feeling suspense is definitely coming up this year so I hope it's an exageration

Just did the mock today and managed to avoid doing the ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I find most people in the class get full marks on ratio and then full marks on theory. None of us have gotten close to full marks on the analysis. Generally we get 32-36/45.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

T0001 wrote: »
    I find most people in the class get full marks on ratio and then full marks on theory. None of us have gotten close to full marks on the analysis. Generally we get 32-36/45.

I think we can all agree that theory is the bittiest part of the course. It's often where they will alter the marking scheme to get the results to fit the bell curve. Hence why you'd seldom see one get full marks in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I've heard this so many times now I'm beginning to believe it. I really like the question overall and the fact that it's guaranteed (well, not really) makes it seem really attractive to me.

Obviously the calculation of ratios is a relatively easy 50 marks, but I also like the b part. I mean, if you have all the relevant information, how can they not give you full marks? I did my accounting mock yesterday and I'd be confident I got 35+ out of 40 for b part but are you guys saying this is highly unlikely?

Edit: 1000th post! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mattiekav

robman60 wrote: »
    I've heard this so many times now I'm beginning to believe it. I really like the question overall and the fact that it's guaranteed (well, not really) makes it seem really attractive to me.

Obviously the calculation of ratios is a relatively easy 50 marks, but I also like the b part. I mean, if you have all the relevant information, how can they not give you full marks? I did my accounting mock yesterday and I'd be confident I got 35+ out of 40 for b part but are you guys saying this is highly unlikely?

Edit: 1000th post! :pac:

My teacher said getting around 75 is very possible but if you're going for an A, this is a risky question as it is where they can most easily alter the marking scheme to fit the bell curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

mattiekav wrote: »
    My teacher said getting around 75 is very possible but if you're going for an A, this is a risky question as it is where they can most easily alter the marking scheme to fit the bell curve.

Hmm, I'd heard that before too. I may try to avoid it in the Leaving Cert. as I'm aiming for and need a minimum of an A2 in accounting. That's very unfair in my opinion but I guess what examiner actually cares about you seeing as all you are is just an exam number to them.

I'll see how I did in the mocks in this question and may decide to keep it as a back up question if something I strongly dislike comes up.

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement