Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term high capacity data storage

Options
  • 14-02-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Long term is ~20 years, high capacity currently means for me ~5TB

I'm looking for something to store photos & video clips. I will not need to access the data frequently - I want it rather as an emergency archive when main hard drive dies.
    The only option that seems to fit the bill are high quality blu ray discs, unless I missed something.

Are there any problems with using 50/100GB blu ray disks on linux?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What's your budget? If it's low, then I'd say you're best option is HD -> HD every few years. And in reality 5TB is probably going to be low capacity within 3-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would think that HDDs would be a better choice.

Refresh the disc surface every six months or so, to ensure the integrity of the stored data.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Best practise in digital preservation is to periodically check the integrity of your content.

http://www.dpconline.org/advice/faqs/589-faq-simple-checksum-software

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Sounds like a nice job for a ZFS array :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Thanks for all suggestions!
    The budget is rather low (let's say 150, euro). Looks like a normal magnetic disk should survive ~10 years on shelf, so I have to think again if I really want the blu ray way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice job for a ZFS array :)
    Or btrfs :)

If I was considering storage for 10+ years and bluray I'd consider how I'd feel having tens or hundreds of zip disks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Hi again Przemof,

Whatever storage option you go for it might be worth processing the content with the tools from 'Digital Preservation Software Platform', an opensource suite from the National Archives of Australia. If you use the 'manifest maker' and 'checksum checker' tools you can be confident that you'll be aware of any data corruption, loss or bitrot.

The nice thing about software from the archives sector is that they're looking at solutions that will preserve material for at least many hundreds of years. Their software will have to be maintained and updated to facilitate this.

Advertisement