Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a ps4 tomorrow..

Options
  • 14-02-2014 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

So as title says I'm going to buy the console tomorrow.. I have the ps3 slim and love it as most ps fans..

Question I'm asking is the ps4 all that it's cracked up to be before I go buy it? I mean is it worth buying now & getting rid of my ps3?

I'm not hearing the greatest of reviews from people about the ps4 also.. I love my fifas & assassin creeds etc so just wondering can anyone help put my mind at ease

Any pros & cons?

Cheers for replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

So as title says I'm going to buy the console tomorrow.. I have the ps3 slim and love it as most ps fans..

Question I'm asking is the ps4 all that it's cracked up to be before I go buy it? I mean is it worth buying now & getting rid of my ps3?

I'm not hearing the greatest of reviews from people about the ps4 also.. I love my fifas & assassin creeds etc so just wondering can anyone help put my mind at ease

Any pros & cons?

Cheers for replies

I bought a ps4 then sold it again, but because I needed the money, and wasn`t really worth it as I only played Fifa.

If you can afford it go ahead and don`t feel bad,

Definately better graphics, faster loading times etc. As I said only really played Fifa, little bit of killzone and Assasins Creed.

I`m sure ps4 will come into its own this year with new game releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm going to get one, there is no question about that, but at the moment its not worth it for me.

All the games i want i can also get for the PS3. I'm waiting a few months until there is actually a reason for me to get one, i'm thinking infamous second son :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you have to buy new games old games don't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm torn between buying a bike and buying a ps4. The recent weather is pushing me towards the indoor option of the ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Any pros & cons?

The PS4 is a really good console - it just doesn't have the bells and whistles of a device that has been around for 7+ years. So while it does have a good library of games, it is nowhere near the catalog the PS3 has. It also doesn't have the media support yet (but it is far better than what the PS3 launched with.

Whether you should buy it or not is really up to you. Are there PS4 games that interest you enough? If not, I'd wait - but for me, the current crop of games was enough for me.
    is it worth buying now & getting rid of my ps3?

Without backwards compatibility in the PS4 (with a solution at least a year out) and with PS+ being fantastic, I would say keep your PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

I was in the same boat as you thinking whether it was worth buying the PS4 or not considering that some PS4's had to returned because of issues, not a big library of games, no media support, etc. But i took the plunge and I have to say I love the system so far. Very easy to use and you will seriously notice a difference accessing games, as well as the graphics, compared to the PS3.
    I currently only have the PS Plus downloadable games and Fifa for the system but for now thats all i need. I will invest in more games this coming year as there are quite a few great games coming out.
    But its really down to whether there is a game that has already been released that you like on the PS4. If not then waiting would be the best option for you.
    If you do decide to buy though, looking long term it wouldn't be the worst investment in the world IMO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Just waiting for an excuse to get it essentially:p.

I'm not sure if there's really any games out yet that really grab me, what's everyone here playing? I play fifa all the time but already have fifa 14 for the 360 so want to wait for the fifa 15.

Thinking I might wait til around April and get Infamous:Second Son unless some good deals or somethings comes up in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Also debating at the moment whether to get a PS4 or not. Does anyone know of places taking trade in of ps3's and games against the purchase of a ps4 or would I be better off holding on to the ps3 for playing madia files/netflix etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Also debating at the moment whether to get a PS4 or not. Does anyone know of places taking trade in of ps3's and games against the purchase of a ps4 or would I be better off holding on to the ps3 for playing madia files/netflix etc.?

Keep your ps3 hardly worth selling as the trade in you will be offered is shockingly bad,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

keep the PS3 for playstation plus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'll be keeping my ps3 forever just to play the Wip3out games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'll be keeping my ps3 forever just to play the Wip3out games!

Oh I get the feeling we'll be seeing a next gen wipeout game down the line, studio Liverpool gone or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I almost bought one because it was 10% off in a store here in Australia.

Opted against it. There's nothing yet to justify buying a next gen console. I've got so much to play on the PS3 that would keep me going until the PS4 gets cheaper or more games come out.

Not a money issue I could go out now and buy it but don't see a reason to.

Will probably have one by the end of the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

I bought my PS4 at launch and if there`s is 1 piece of advice I would give is dont give up your PS3. Dont get me wrong the PS4 is a great machine but I do find myself playing on my PS3 just as much as my PS4. The games just arent there for it yet but they`ll come over the next few months.
    On the plus side I subscribed to PSplus. The PS store is getting really good deals and I found myself downloading a load of free games for my PS3 (Uncharted 3, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands etc) and its great getting these for free especially if your a COD addict like I am. Its nice to have other free games to take a break from COD.
    Anyway thats my 2 cents on this

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I agree with most of the above. I bought my PS4 at launch and I knew then it was\is a long term project. I bought the Killzone pack, the game is good but not excellent, and I also got FIFA14 which is a huge disappointment for me personally. Having no offline multiplayer (cup\league) is a load of crock. If I had none that I wouldnt have gotten the game. I really miss local co-op games. I know this will improve but is it worth buying the PS4 so early in this life, probably not. On a time ratio, im playing my PS3 3:1 to PS4.

Best game on the PS4 (launch title) is Resogun, and now I have just completed outlast, which I thought was excellent and free (ish) That is the one saving grace for the PS4, the subscription plus which gives free games away.

I could also go on about no mp3 playback, usb readable etc but I know things will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Buy a PS4 and keep the PS3. That would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Sorry for the hijack. Where's the best /cheapest place to buy a PS4. Preferably online. Or is there already a super thread for this kind of question?

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're not going to get anywhere cheaper really bar a good bundle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

raheny red wrote: »
    Sorry for the hijack. Where's the best /cheapest place to buy a PS4. Preferably online. Or is there already a super thread for this kind of question?

Cheers in advance.
    There are loads on Adverts. About €330-50 should get you a new one ...or very lightly used with a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Does anyone know of any good bundles going at the minute (bricks and mortar that accept one4all vouchers ideally).

I was thinking I was just gonna wait til Infamous:SS comes out and get it bundled with the console if that's a thing. But will also be looking to get an additional controller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement