Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail App HELP!!!

Options
  • 13-02-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey,

I have both the gmail and normal mail app on my Samsung Note 2 (android version 4.3). I have been able to add accounts to both apps before but I have just got a new job with a new email which I need to add. Ive added it to the normal app but emails arent coming through, it just stays on the loading screen the whole time. I have the gmail app also which will only allow me add @gmail.com accounts. My work email is run through gmail but its not the gmail address, meaning it has @companyname.com rather than @gmail.com. Ive tried going the gmail app to add an account but it doesnt give me the option. Ive tried going into phone settings and "add account" but it only gives me the option of adding an @gmail.com address.

Please help as I need to access emails everyday.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

ianofitz wrote: »
    Hey,

I have both the gmail and normal mail app on my Samsung Note 2 (android version 4.3). I have been able to add accounts to both apps before but I have just got a new job with a new email which I need to add. Ive added it to the normal app but emails arent coming through, it just stays on the loading screen the whole time. I have the gmail app also which will only allow me add @gmail.com accounts. My work email is run through gmail but its not the gmail address, meaning it has @companyname.com rather than @gmail.com. Ive tried going the gmail app to add an account but it doesnt give me the option. Ive tried going into phone settings and "add account" but it only gives me the option of adding an @gmail.com address.

Thanks

Go to your pc and add it there in settings-> accounts, it will then show up in gmail

If you're mixing work and personal emails in Gmail it may be best to read up on Gmail filters, you can colour code and filter them easily to know at a glance what is what.
    http://mashable.com/2012/06/22/gmail-filters/

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

@White Heart Loon how do I get phone settings on my computer??

@White Heart Loon how do I get phone settings on my computer??

You don't, log into Google Mail on your PC, if you add an email to your Google account there, it will add it to your phone. Google is a whole online ecosystem, what you do in Google on your PC syncs to your phone, like editing a Google contact etc. You can even go to the Google Play store on your PC and click install any app and it will instantly install on your phone (once you're signed into the same Google account)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

My work email is with Google and it sits happily alongside my other (normal) Gmail accounts in the Gmail app. Android 4.3.
    Calendar and contacts sync fine too.

@White Heart Loon Just did that and still no sign of it on either apps. Come to think of it, my college email is on the mail app and is working fine but didnt show up on the gmail app. ugh Why me!

• Advertisement

If I set up the email in the Android mail app, It asks which account I want to use. Its either Pop3, imap or microsoft exchange activesync. I have none of these, never even heard of them. When I go into any of these, it has ports and security(tsl or ssl) already selected but says there is an error and it cant collect my information. It will then let me proceed but none of my emails come through or are shown in my inbox.

These are the 2 screens that come up

These are the 2 screens that come up

What's wrong with the Gmail app?

If I set up the email in the Android mail app, It asks which account I want to use. Its either Pop3, imap or microsoft exchange activesync. I have none of these, never even heard of them. When I go into any of these, it has ports and security(tsl or ssl) already selected but says there is an error and it cant collect my information. It will then let me proceed but none of my emails come through or are shown in my inbox.

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/9723/how-to-access-google-apps-mail-from-within-personal-gmail-account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Go to your PC and follow instructions below.
    I have 5 different email accounts all syncing with Gmail on the pc, phone and anywhere else I access my Gmail account.

Open Gmail.
    Click the gear in the top right.
    Select Settings.
    Open the Accounts tab.
    In the Check mail from other accounts (using POP3) section, click Add a POP3 mail account you own.
    Enter the full email address of the account you'd like to access, then click Next Step.
    Gmail will populate sample settings, but they recommend checking with your other provider to learn the correct server name and port.
    Enter your Password.
    Decide whether to:
    Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server
    Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
    Label incoming messages
    Archive incoming messages
    Click Add Account.
    Once your account has been added successfully, you'll have the option of setting it as a custom From address. This allows you to compose messages in Gmail, but have them appear to be sent from your other email account. Click Yes to set up a custom From address.

• Advertisement

The question I have is whether the op is trying to get work email into a personal account (set up using the desktop site - add imap in this case) or trying to connect multiple Gmail accounts (one being a hosted business one) in parallel.

Once clarified, a link to the appropriate settings is easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Hey,

Thanks

Try going to Settings -> Accounts -> Add account -> Google

Select "Existing" on the Add a Google Account page - you should be able to add your work's Google Apps account from there

Advertisement