Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poets HL 2014

Options
  • 13-02-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Just wondering what poets ye are all doing and thought I'd make it into a poll just to see which are most popular on here. Obviously Heaney will be, but just to know the others out of curiosity.

English Poets 2014 330 votes

Emily Dickinson
    0%
    Seamus Heaney
    19%
    jwcurtinPov06Minnie1990TheRedDevil10robman60richardh330Cakes.nunchuksanirishladniallhartychatterboxxx95SChique00MegGustaaCrazyteacherGeekness1234RoughosingLayzermanKeyzerSozeAtomicKoalayoyojc 63 votes
    Sylvia Plath
    21%
    jwcurtinLollipop95Pov06TheRedDevil10richardh330rorrisseyCakes.nunchuksicanplaydrumsanirishladniallhartyMegGustaaSolid_ShepardCrazyteacherGeekness1234brijayKeyzerSozeAtomicKoalayoyojcxLisaBx 71 votes
    Elizabeth Bishop
    11%
    jwcurtinLollipop95Pov06Minnie1990Cakes.nunchuksicanplaydrumsniallhartyScummyManchatterboxxx95MegGustaaSolid_ShepardCrazyteacherKeyzerSozeyoyojcxLisaBxA7XGirlJijsawsara16missguided 39 votes
    W.B. Yeats
    10%
    jwcurtinLollipop95Pov06Minnie1990robman60richardh330rorrisseynunchuksMegGustaaSolid_ShepardCrazyteacherKeyzerSozexLisaBxA7XGirlJijsawsara16JDOC1996MightyMandarinjtaylolGlass Prison 1214 36 votes
    Derek Mahon
    18%
    jwcurtinPov06Minnie1990robman60rorrisseyCakes.nunchuksicanplaydrumsanirishladniallhartychatterboxxx95MegGustaaSolid_ShepardCrazyteacherGeekness1234WoolyAbyssRoughosingLayzermanEmlieAtomicKoala 62 votes
    Philip Larkin
    6%
    Lollipop95Pov06Cakes.nunchuksSolid_ShepardCrazyteacherRoughosingA7XGirlJijsawMightyMandarinjtaylolGlass Prison 1214Daire2013thelad95d1234oncexrachinaterMemoriesarehaccountname 22 votes
    Thomas Kinsella
    11%
    Lollipop95Pov06TheRedDevil10rorrisseyicanplaydrumsniallhartychatterboxxx95MegGustaaLayzermanAtomicKoalayoyojcJijsawmissguidedSucette!PeregrinejtaylolGlass Prison 1214Daire2013thelad95Gf13 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Derek Mahon
    You can list them as well if you want I don't know which is better really. I suppose the poll is. Mine:
    Dickinson
    Yeats
    Bishop
    Kinsella
    Heaney

and we might be doing Larkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Thomas Kinsella
    In order of preference:

Bishop
    Yeats
    Larkin
    Heaney

We're doing Dickenson too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Seamus Heaney
    In order of preference:
    Heaney
    Dickinson
    Bishop
    Kinsella
    Yeats

Derek Mahon
    Yeah putting it in order of preference is a good idea actually. Personally I don't like Heaney's poetry very much. I just can't connect with it like the others. It seems boring to me. Everyone else's seems to see him as their favourite poet.

Judging by the poll so far Dickinson and Yeats are more popular though, than Heaney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Derek Mahon
    Yeats
    Dickinson
    Bishop
    Kinsella
    Unsure for fifth.

Yeats' poems are just amazing, hope he comes up. Dickinson is excellent too, actually poses really profound questions. I feel she leaves scope for personal input too which is helpful.

I'd be very surprised if Dickinson doesn't come up really, but obviously anything can happen.

• Advertisement

Derek Mahon
    robman60 wrote: »
    Yeats
    Dickinson
    Bishop
    Kinsella
    Unsure for fifth.

Yeats' poems are just amazing, hope he comes up. Dickinson is excellent too, actually poses really profound questions. I feel she leaves scope for personal input too which is helpful.

I'd be very surprised if Dickinson doesn't come up really, but obviously anything can happen.

Yeah if Yeats and Dickinson came up I'd be so happy I wouldn't know who to choose. I find Yeats really philosophical and love his themes. Then Dickinson with her unique style and brilliantly she can express herself on plain black ink make her easy to write about

Derek Mahon
    Yeah if Yeats and Dickinson came up I'd be so happy I wouldn't know who to choose. I find Yeats really philosophical and love his themes. Then Dickinson with her unique style and brilliantly she can express herself on plain black ink make her easy to write about

Good points. Perhaps it would be a disadvantage if both came up as I'd spend too much time pondering which one to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Derek Mahon
    In order of preference :):
    Sylvia Plath
    Elizabeth Bishop
    W.B. Yeats
    Thomas Kinsella
    Seamus Heaney

What are the chances of Plath coming up this year? Would the fact that she came up last year make it less likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Philip Larkin
    Order of preference;
    Plath
    Bishop
    Mahon
    Heaney
    Yeats

Doing Dickinson after the mocks and I reckon I'm going to love her!
    I detest Heaney and Yeats though so I'm considering doing Kinsella myself as my other three all came up last year :( I was raging when I seen their paper, was so nice!

Derek Mahon
    Order of preference;
    Plath
    Bishop
    Mahon
    Heaney
    Yeats

Doing Dickinson after the mocks and I reckon I'm going to love her!
    I detest Heaney and Yeats though so I'm considering doing Kinsella myself as my other three all came up last year :( I was raging when I seen their paper, was so nice!

Yeah I know what you mean they had cultural context and the Macbeth question wasn't too bad. I would have definitely managed the Bishop question well too.
    Mario95 wrote: »
    What are the chances of Plath coming up this year? Would the fact that she came up last year make it less likely?

Well you can't predict really but it is less likely than the ones who haven't come up in over two years. That said Yeats did come up 2 years in a row 2010 and 2011 but he is considered a national treasure. My teacher said some in the Department would argue that he should be one of the 8 poets every years. Plath is also a highly regarded poet so I wouldn't rule it out. You'd definitely need to have some strong back ups though, that you could answer almost as well as her.

• Advertisement

Derek Mahon
    Mario95 wrote: »
    Before I give you my opinion I'll stress anything can happen, but I think it's very unlikely she'll come up.

I was speaking to a corrector and he said of the 240 scripts he corrected last year about 190 of them answered on Plath. I'd guess that the people making the paper will avoid choosing her this year as she was answered so widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

Thomas Kinsella
    Order of Preference :
    Larkin
    Heaney
    Dickinson
    Plath
    Yeats
    We may also be studying Mahon. Really hope Larkin comes up on the day, find his poetry really easy to understand and easy to write about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thomas Kinsella
    Here's the six I'm doing, in order of preference:

Plath
    Heaney
    Yeats
    Larkin
    Kinsella
    Dickinson

Oh and my votes for Plath and Kinsella didn't go through for some reason..I don't know how I managed that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thomas Kinsella
    Aw damn, I was really hoping it would be likely Plath would come up :( I'm surprised she was answered on a lot as most people in my year don't like her poetry and find it depressing but I personally think her being so tortured makes her poetry great to analyse! We're doing Plath,Heaney,Bishop,Mahon and Larkin. We haven't started Larkin yet. If Plath doesn't make an appearance,Mahon would be ideal. His poetry is very relatable in my opinon. I do like Heaney but I won't answer him if he comes up - the standard will be incredibly high and I feel the examiner will find it refreshing if they see an essay that isn't answered on Heaney. It must be quite tedious to correct numerous papers who contain the same poet! I'm not really a fan of Elizabeth Bishop at all,however I will probably focus on her. Great to read that Larkin is easy to understand. He could be a possible candidate for me to stongly focus on if so :D

Derek Mahon
    Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Aw damn, I was really hoping it would be likely Plath would come up :( I'm surprised she was answered on a lot as most people in my year don't like her poetry and find it depressing but I personally think her being so tortured makes her poetry great to analyse! We're doing Plath,Heaney,Bishop,Mahon and Larkin. We haven't started Larkin yet. If Plath doesn't make an appearance,Mahon would be ideal. His poetry is very relatable in my opinon. I do like Heaney but I won't answer him if he comes up - the standard will be incredibly high and I feel the examiner will find it refreshing if they see an essay that isn't answered on Heaney. It must be quite tedious to correct numerous papers who contain the same poet! I'm not really a fan of Elizabeth Bishop at all,however I will probably focus on her. Great to read that Larkin is easy to understand. He could be a possible candidate for me to stongly focus on if so :D

Tbh i'm surprised your teacher decided to do all 3 of the ones that came up last year. One of them could come up but it's very unlikely that you'd have both Mahon and Plath again especially if Plath was over-answered last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daire2013

Thomas Kinsella
    Mine in order of preference are......
    Heaney
    Yeats
    Plath
    Larkin
    Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thomas Kinsella
    Tbh i'm surprised your teacher decided to do all 3 of the ones that came up last year. One of them could come up but it's very unlikely that you'd have both Mahon and Plath again especially if Plath was over-answered last year.

Oh really,they all came up last year? :eek: Do you think there's a good chance Larkin/Heaney/Bishop may make an appearance this year? I'd love to answer on Heaney but like I said,the standard will be so high because everyone will have predicted him coming up due to his death last year. He came up on my mock paper(was the only poet I could answer as we hadn't covered any of the rest of the poets) so I guess there's a chance he will come up in June. Yeah,there are two higher level classes. The other teacher has done Dickinson,Yeats,Mahon,Heaney.. not sure what other poets they have covered or will cover

Derek Mahon
    Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Oh really,they all came up last year? :eek: Do you think there's a good chance Larkin/Heaney/Bishop may make an appearance this year? I'd love to answer on Heaney but like I said,the standard will be so high because everyone will have predicted him coming up due to his death last year. He came up on my mock paper(was the only poet I could answer as we hadn't covered any of the rest of the poets) so I guess there's a chance he will come up in June. Yeah,there are two higher level classes. The other teacher has done Dickinson,Yeats,Mahon,Heaney.. not sure what other poets they have covered or will cover

Yeah Plath, Bishop, and Mahon came up last year. Larkin and Heaney would have a better chance of coming up I'd say not that one that came up last year won't come up this year. If you study 5 one or more of them has to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thomas Kinsella
    My order of preference and how likely I think they are to come up

1. Derek Mahon (highly unlikely, came up last year)
    2. Thomas Kinsella (50-50 in my opinion)
    3. Seamus Heaney (highly likely)
    4. Philip Larkin (50-50)
    5. Sylvia Plath (unlikely)

I know in theory every poet has a 50-50 chance but I think it's fair to say that 4 poets aren't just chosen at random.

I would say Plath was only so widely answered because people were expecting her to come up to be honest and not because they genuinely enjoyed her work. It came down to cutting your workload for some people and they chose the two most likely.
    Plath came up in 2003 and 2004 so she could make an appearance this year. And I never analysed it completely but Rich and Bishop must have had some consecutive years also. Just remember that you should always go with the one you genuinely enjoy as that will translate into marks more than any set of well-learned notes. I would say 95% of my class did Plath last year because she was tipped even though they all hated her while we studied her in class and in the end I got 50/50 for her question because I could engage with the question and the poetry.

• Advertisement

Derek Mahon
    I would say Plath was only so widely answered because people were expecting her to come up to be honest and not because they genuinely enjoyed her work. It came down to cutting your workload for some people and they chose the two most likely.
    Plath came up in 2003 and 2004 so she could make an appearance this year. And I never analysed it completely but Rich and Bishop must have had some consecutive years also. Just remember that you should always go with the one you genuinely enjoy as that will translate into marks more than any set of well-learned notes. I would say 95% of my class did Plath last year because she was tipped even though they all hated her while we studied her in class and in the end I got 50/50 for her question because I could engage with the question and the poetry.

Very true. I find you can kind of "encourage" yourself to liking a poet by learning about their life and trying to see the world as they did, though. For example, I think Dickinson is possibly the most likely to appear this year so although I found her poems difficult at first I intentionally made an extra effort to try to understand her. As a result, she's right up there with Yeats as my favourite poet on the course now.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

seeing a lot of Larkin and kinsella on this thread..we didn't do either and we're finished poetry :/

order of preference:

1.yeats
    2.dickinson
    3.plath
    4.mahon

then there's heaney or elizabeth bishop but I'm trying to decide which one I dislike less :P

Derek Mahon
    a0ifee wrote: »
    seeing a lot of Larkin and kinsella on this thread..we didn't do either and we're finished poetry :/

then there's heaney or elizabeth bishop but I'm trying to decide which one I dislike less :P

well I mean you can't do all the poets that would be too much study. To be honest if you study 5 poets and only 1 comes up you'd have to have been very unlucky with your combination. If you look at the poll Larkin and Kinsella are the least common so I wouldn't worry.

I too dislike Heaney but at the same time I hope he comes up so everyone in the country does him and then the examiner's brain will explode with joy when they see I've done Dickinson or Yeats instead :D

Derek Mahon
    well I mean you can't do all the poets that would be too much study. To be honest if you study 5 poets and only 1 comes up you'd have to have been very unlucky with your combination. If you look at the poll Larkin and Kinsella are the least common so I wouldn't worry.

I too dislike Heaney but at the same time I hope he comes up so everyone in the country does him and then the examiner's brain will explode with joy when they see I've done Dickinson or Yeats instead :D

My sentiments exactly. I like the fact that we're doing Never Let Me Go as single text for the same reason. Examiners must get incredibly bored correcting the same things again and again. I could see it adversely affecting your mark in subject where quality is somewhat subjective, like English.

I don't feel there's much depth to Heaney's poetry but its simplicity is appealing to others I suppose. Larkin is my least favourite of the six poets I've studied (haven't done Plath or Mahon). I don't think you're missing much @a0ifee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Thomas Kinsella
    robman60 wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly. I like the fact that we're doing Never Let Me Go as single text for the same reason. Examiners must get incredibly bored correcting the same things again and again. I could see it adversely affecting your mark in subject where quality is somewhat subjective, like English.

I don't feel there's much depth to Heaney's poetry but its simplicity is appealing to others I suppose. Larkin is my least favourite of the six poets I've studied (haven't done Plath or Mahon). I don't think you're missing much @a0ifee.

I wouldn't necessarily read into the thing about examiners correcting the same material over and over again. If you produce a quality answer on Macbeth you will get a quality grade. Don't worry about that. Even if an examiner finds alternative answers refreshing to see you still have to earn your grade. They won' t give you an A just for making their job a little less tedious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thomas Kinsella
    a0ifee wrote: »

Larkin is fairly popular alright but if you have 6 covered then you should be alright.

We did 6 too, didn't do Mahon or Bishop and I don't like 2 of the ones I did but I'm not too worried. I'll focus on five and do a little bit of the 6th one.

Derek Mahon
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Larkin is fairly popular alright but if you have 6 covered then you should be alright.

We did 6 too, didn't do Mahon or Bishop and I don't like 2 of the ones I did but I'm not too worried. I'll focus on five and do a little bit of the 6th one.

I don't think it's that important that you study a 6th at all. Some teacher only do 5 poets; we're only doing 6 if we've time at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HelenAnn

Thomas Kinsella
    thelad95 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily read into the thing about examiners correcting the same material over and over again. If you produce a quality answer on Macbeth you will get a quality grade. Don't worry about that. Even if an examiner finds alternative answers refreshing to see you still have to earn your grade. They won' t give you an A just for making their job a little less tedious.

Yeah, I agree with this! It definitely applies to the poetry even more so. If you take an interest in the poet's life and reflect on their works yourself, you can potentially write a stand-out essay on any of them. There might be one (maybe Heaney) again this year who the majority will answer on but regardless there's always plenty of room to give your analysis your own flair!

So far I've studied:
    1. Yeats
    2. Heaney
    3. Dickinson
    4. Plath

That's my rough order of preference but I find different elements of each one's poetry interesting so I'd probably be happy enough to answer on any of them if they came up.

We're starting on Larkin next week and that's it. I'm glad we're only doing 5 because it gives us the best possible chance to study each poet throughly.

Advertisement