Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking generator to heating system.

Options
  • 13-02-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I have a small 800 w generator. If I disconnect my heating from the mains and connected the generator to the heating could the generator power pump and oil burner? Would it be too weak or too strong? I have a standard oil burner and pump

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It would do. Just make sure its 800 constant. Ratings can be funny sometimes.

Also don't plug it in and start the genny as they surge first. Can blow stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

corkgsxr wrote: »
    It would do. Just make sure its 800 constant. Ratings can be funny sometimes.

Also don't plug it in and start the genny as they surge first. Can blow stuff

My plan was to start it and let it run a few minutes before plugging it in.

Also how do I check its constant 800w

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You may have problems with motorized valves, circulating pumps, thermostats etc., Where exactly do you intend to bring the power from the generator to? You also have to remember to isolate the generator from the mains. You don't want to electrocute some ESB man working on what he thinks is a dead wire down the road, only to find that he is getting electricity from your generator.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Wearb wrote: »
    You may have problems with motorized valves, circulating pumps, thermostats etc., Where exactly do you intend to bring the power from the generator to? You also have to remember to isolate the generator from the mains. You don't want to electrocute some ESB man working on what he thinks is a dead wire down the road, only to find that he is getting electricity from your generator.

Plugging generator in before all valves, stats etc. as for electrocuting an ESB man. I'll can remove the live and neutral from the switch box for heating and plug genie in there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Plugging generator in before all valves, stats etc. as for electrocuting an ESB man. I'll can remove the live and neutral from the switch box for heating and plug genie in there.

Not best practice, but.......................
    If I were to go to all that trouble I would (I have) put in a proper changeover switch and external socket for the generator.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement