Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question - Semi-Private in Coombe

Options
  • 13-02-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

We are pregnant with our second, about 6 weeks I think. We went private in the Coombe for our first but this time we are looking at semi-private.

I know roughly what’s involved but would anyone who has gone semi-private in the Coombe have some time to answer some questions I have? Just want to understand the ‘full’ cost and about extra scans and what not.

Can be done through PM or even a phone call if that's better.

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Well that went well.

125 views and no replies.

Ill grab my things and head out of here. ;)

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Having been public in the coombe twice I don't see the point of semi private. The wards are relatively small and all the scans etc are free for public patients. Are the semi private rooms on the public wards? If so then I wouldn't pay for them. I don't think any have toilets ensuite and I stayed in one one night and it was as noisy as being on the ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't think the semi-p rooms are on the public wards. The public wards are just that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Are you in the catchment area for the Domino scheme?
    Instead of staying on a ward, you could avail of the early transfer home and get back to your own bed with the Midwives visiting you!

I'm currently with them in the Coombe, love it. No queues for appointments and you get to know all the midwives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm pregnant with my first and have decided to go semi private at the Coombe.
    I thought about all the money I've paid out in premiums and rarely needed to avail of my insurance and so thought I'd get some bang for my buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

olaola wrote: »
    Are you in the catchment area for the Domino scheme?
    Instead of staying on a ward, you could avail of the early transfer home and get back to your own bed with the Midwives visiting you!

I'm currently with them in the Coombe, love it. No queues for appointments and you get to know all the midwives.

I did domino scheme in holles street and the midwives were amazing and left the hospital a few hours later. However in the coombe you can't have an epidural if doing domino so that might be something the OP might want to consider. I didn't have epi in holles street (but it is available) and was grand going home but I wish I had stayed the three days from a rest point of view as being at home I had visitors (grandparents) plus midwives coming every day whereas if I was in hospital I would be forced to stay in bed! I looked into the costs last year I think cost for semi private is around €1200 but you can't claim 20% back on med1. Check your insurance policy as they may give you €300 towards it, you insurance should cover your bed for 3-5 days but again policies differ I got €4000 toward bed but some give €3450. I remember at the time thinking semi p was not worth it as supposedly you still have waiting times plus the chances are you will just be given any bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ShadyLane

January wrote: »
    I don't think the semi-p rooms are on the public wards. The public wards are just that small.

The only semi-private rooms are on the public wards. You might be in a room of 4 women versus 6.

Advertisement