Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting apprenticeship

Options
  • 13-02-2014 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

First post on the forum. I looked back several pages and couldn't really find someone asking the question (well an up to date one 2014+). I'm thinking of starting an apprenticeship as an Electrician. Basically do you think it is a good idea?

Are many of yee out of work at the moment? Is it all dome and gloom because I see alot of Electrical vans driving around in the morning when im out and about,etc. Is it a good career choice in general. Iv done small jobs in work experience with Electricians before and enjoyed it.

Are many employers looking for apprentices this year? Do i stand a chance if some lad is out of work with 5+ years experience. Cheap labor on the employers behalf surely the only thing iv going ha.

Just any advise from you older/qualified boys would be appreciated.

Im in Leinster if thats any help. Do i start ringing around everyone like or try approach big companys? Keep hearing about the ESB taking on people every year too but dont much else about it.

Any help on how to get me foot in the door? Thanks for reading and hope to have some helpful responses

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Let me put it like this:
    If I were to do it all over again I would not serve my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Likewise,don't get me wrong,love working in the trade but that's about it.the days of making money as a spark are well and truly gone,you really have to love it to get into it!i would advise against!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's also the chance that if you do get taken on it could be for a year or two as cheap labour and then you'll be let go with little openings for third or fourth year apprentices. I'm getting out of the trade now for various reasons. It's still great to have and I still do electrical work to supplement my other incomes. I started during the boom and then the crash came before I was out of my time. Finished off on my own but then it was a few years of work being up and down and I got sick of the unreliability. That and the many people who expect trades people to work for a pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

In the middle of an apprenticeship right now. Would highly recommend it its enjoyable and challenging work.the money is low at the minute but thats construction, boom and bust cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Let me put it like this:
    If I were to do it all over again I would not serve my time.

I hate electrical work, but dont regret doing the apprenticeship. I feel like im still doing it.

Try to understand, not just remember, that`s my opinion on it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Go for it.Im a second year now,loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Do electrical instrumentation apprenticeship if you can. Im second year into the e&I apprenticeship working with a large contractor and elect/inst is definitely the way to go rather than the electrical apprenticeship. That said, your off the job phases will be harder from a theory point of view but you will have more opportunities coming out of your time.

If you could get an apprenticeship in a plant of some kind it would be better than with a contractor too. I'd give my right arm to work in a pharma plant working on instruments, instead i've spent most of time putting up cable tray, bending conduit, pulling/dressing down cables etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    I hate electrical work, but dont regret doing the apprenticeship. I feel like im still doing it.

Yes, life is too short. I have no regrets :)

I find all things electrical fascinating, and it is important to enjoy what you do.
    However I would not recommend becoming an electrician to anyone that intends to work in Ireland fro many reasons (such as staying in a reasonably paying job).

There are many other areas for those interested in all things electrical that offer far better careers in my opinion.
    Try to understand, not just remember, that`s my opinion on it all.
    Good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

As rates of trade peoples go an electrician is not at the bottom of the pile, i know alot of qualified skilled carpenters on €15 per hour sub contracting, supplying their own van and tools paying their own tax.
    I know alot of electricians that have emigrated and are on big money but so are other trades in that country that they are in, its not only the electricians wage that has taken a decrease here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Noddynaki

If your going to do a trade do electrical & Instrumentation!!!

More coin mate and allot more job opportunities.

You will have 2 trades in one course,electrician & Instrument tech

Well worth it!!! Ignore all the sparks below...........

INSTRUMENTATION WAY TO GO!!!!

Hi all,

First post on the forum. I looked back several pages and couldn't really find someone asking the question (well an up to date one 2014+). I'm thinking of starting an apprenticeship as an Electrician. Basically do you think it is a good idea?

Are many of yee out of work at the moment? Is it all dome and gloom because I see alot of Electrical vans driving around in the morning when im out and about,etc. Is it a good career choice in general. Iv done small jobs in work experience with Electricians before and enjoyed it.

Are many employers looking for apprentices this year? Do i stand a chance if some lad is out of work with 5+ years experience. Cheap labor on the employers behalf surely the only thing iv going ha.

Just any advise from you older/qualified boys would be appreciated.

Im in Leinster if thats any help. Do i start ringing around everyone like or try approach big companys? Keep hearing about the ESB taking on people every year too but dont much else about it.

Any help on how to get me foot in the door? Thanks for reading and hope to have some helpful responses

• Advertisement
Advertisement