Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest Leaving Cert subjects?

Options
  • 13-02-2014 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I haven't done my Junior Cert yet (will be doing it this June), however recently we've been told to pick our subject choices. I've read some stuff and have been talking to some people and they told me I picked really hard and effort committing subjects.

Here are the subjects I picked and am doing and at their level:

German - Higher
    English - Higher
    Maths - Ordinary
    Irish - Ordinary
    Biology - Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Economics - Higher
    Woodwork - Higher

This isn't my final decision though, however anyone have any suggestions for anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

All I know is that the two science subjects you've picked have a fairly long course. Biology itself is apparently extremely long. Chemistry also takes it's time to get your head wrapped around it. I'm guessing if you can put in the work, you'll benefit from these, as with all subjects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

Keep a science subject . Do what you find easy or that you like? That's what I'm doing. Also what do you want to be after school? Ask yourself questions go through all possible choices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there a particular reason you're doing eight subjects?
    I think you mean Construction Studies rather than Woodwork. It's a fair bit more than just woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I would have done HL Irish over HL English as I find it much easier. If I was to go back I would have done OL English. Biology is such a long course and I find it really hard to get good grades. Explanations much be deadly accurate or they are reluctant to give marks. I prefer Accounting to Economics and find it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Please bear in mind that Construction at Leaving Cert level is a completely different ball game to Woodwork at Junior Cert level. It's basically based on how to build a house and everything associated with it (Now there is a lot more to it than that). That said it is quite an easy subject to get high marks in if you put the work in. 50% of the exam is gotten before you do the paper in June. (25% project, 25% 4 hour practical) The course itself is all right. There are a lot of topics, but they are easily grasped and understood in the most part. I'd recommend it, but maybe I'm being biased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Esezoz

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice!

I only now realised that I chose 8 subjects by mistake so I can drop one subject. I'm deciding whether to drop Biology, chemistry or economics. Any suggestions? What's the easiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Esezoz wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice!

I only now realised that I chose 8 subjects by mistake so I can drop one subject. I'm deciding whether to drop Biology, chemistry or economics. Any suggestions? What's the easiest?

Well it depends on you. If you are good at Maths and sciences then you should probably keep Chemistry and economics.
    If you are more into rote learning then Biology and economics would most likely suit you better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Mario95 wrote: »
    Well it depends on you. If you are good at Maths and sciences then you should probably keep Chemistry and economics.
    If you are more into rote learning then Biology and economics would most likely suit you better :)

How good are you at science? I completey disagree that economics is solely rote-learning (just learning off information without needing to understand it). If you enjoy the subject and try to comprehend whats going on it can become quite simple. The theory can seem mind-blowing at the start of fifth year but eventually you will realise its not that hard. However it is extrémy theory intensive and a strict marking scheme so bear that in mind as well.
    I don't know much about chemistry but from hearing my friends talk about it , it can be quite awful but I haven't done the subject so I don't know.
    Of the three science biology is without doubt the easiest. There can be a lot of rote learning but if you start learning consistently from the beginning of fifth year you can easily obtain a high grade. There aren't any essays. Even the long questions are effectively a series of quickfire short questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Esezoz wrote: »
    I haven't done my Junior Cert yet (will be doing it this June), however recently we've been told to pick our subject choices. I've read some stuff and have been talking to some people and they told me I picked really hard and effort committing subjects.

Here are the subjects I picked and am doing and at their level:

German - Higher
    English - Higher
    Maths - Ordinary
    Irish - Ordinary
    Biology - Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Economics - Higher
    Woodwork - Higher

This isn't my final decision though, however anyone have any suggestions for anything?

Geography is supposed to be easy

Do at least one science subject

also look at the leaving cert papers, it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

No such a thing as an easy leaving cert subject - each will require a lot of work and energy to succeed.

Instead, I think you should look at the results for each subject for last year i.e. how many students got As, Bs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Absolutely agree with above, no such thing as an easy leaving cert subject... Except maybe european languages for native speakers?

Depends where your interest and leanings are.

I found applied maths had some overlap with maths and physics, i found those three the easiest. As you are not doing higher maths though, i doubt you have an interest in any of those.

I accidently wrote easy. What I meant was it is one of the easier subjects but obviously you have to study for all subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Geography is "supposed" to be easy. Guess what? It is not..At least not for a lot of people in my year. Many MANY now regret picking it as they fooled themselves into thinking it was "easy." If you absolutely dread a subject you are probably not going to do so well in it...

Emlie wrote: »
    Geography is "supposed" to be easy. Guess what? It is not..At least not for a lot of people in my year. Many MANY now regret picking it as they fooled themselves into thinking it was "easy." If you absolutely dread a subject you are probably not going to do so well in it...

From what I know and what people told me it's not difficult for them but it really depends on the person

Emlie wrote: »

Dreadful subject. However, in my opinions its teachers along with crappy textbooks that are destroying it. Most teachers dont teach topics they just read information out of revision books or sample answers for you to go home and learn off by rote.
    The syllabus is far too broad-ranging as well in my opinion. Instead of skimming over 4 topics would it not be better to zone in on one or two specifically for long questions while having a generál knowledge of the rest of the course to be able to answer short-answer type questions.
    The worst part of geography though is SRP's. The SEC definition of an SRP is extremely vague and some examiners are extremely generous while others aren't. Our geography mock was so barly corrected that our teacher re-corrected it himself. An SRP was literally given for every sentence whereas we were always told an SRP could only be given for a fully developed point. Also an SRP was given for every label on a diagram which isn't right either.

Although marking of mock is generally awful I would hate to think there would be this disparity in the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    From what I know and what people told me it's not difficult for them but it really depends on the person

Totally agree. I study it, and it is very very easy to get a good mark in. Half the short questions could be done by anyone. If you learn off essays you get your marks. Its just the way it is. Also it is the one subject whose questions come up in patterns. If i were you OP, presuming your looking at medicine based on the other posts, I'd choose geography biology and chemistry and if needs be choose economics outside school. Accounting is also a subject that can get good grades if you're willing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Out of Biology, Chemistry and Economics I'd say it's safe to say Chemistry is definitely not the easiest.. Most people in my class are only getting their heads around it now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 David Mcgregor

I also have to choose my subjects soon im doing

Maths-HL
    English-HL
    Irish-HL
    Biology-HL
    Business-HL
    French-HL

Now for the last subject im torn between geography and economics,if anyone could explain how hard or easy(even though none are easy) economics is,that would be greatly appreciated,for geography i have an interest but i didn't receive the best geography education in junior cycle,the teacher was poor. Im thinking that because i enjoy business i might like economics but then again i could be totally wrong,any help?

Maths-HL
    English-HL
    Irish-HL
    Biology-HL
    Business-HL
    French-HL

Now for the last subject im torn between geography and economics,if anyone could explain how hard or easy(even though none are easy) economics is,that would be greatly appreciated,for geography i have an interest but i didn't receive the best geography education in junior cycle,the teacher was poor. Im thinking that because i enjoy business i might like economics but then again i could be totally wrong,any help?

Economics is very different from business. It is theory based. From what I know for the JC Business they only teach one chapter on economics.

Maths-HL
    English-HL
    Irish-HL
    Biology-HL
    Business-HL
    French-HL

You should enjoy Economics if you enjoy business. While there is very little crossover in the syllabuses (syllabi? :confused: ) a lot of the micro chapters contain fundamental principles to do with business although they aren't on the business course if you know what I mean. Both business and Economics are extremely theory intensive however and a lot of this theory (especially in business) can be waffly and boring but has to be learned off and regurgitated.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    You should enjoy Economics if you enjoy business. While there is very little crossover in the syllabuses (syllabi? :confused: ) a lot of the micro chapters contain fundamental principles to do with business although they aren't on the business course if you know what I mean. Both business and Economics are extremely theory intensive however and a lot of this theory (especially in business) can be waffly and boring but has to be learned off and regurgitated.

Thanks for the advice,i don't want to put too much pressure on myself to have to learn all these definitions,especially as there are a lot of biology definitions too,are there any subjects that don't include a lot of definitions to be learned off as much as these ones,i also don't like doing project work as i find that it is now interfering with my junior cert study and taking up a lot of my time such as religion and woodwork and cspe and science,thankfully i wont have these particular subjects in senior cycle (besides biology) but do the subjects like biology contain practical work for senior cycle,i presume they do as they do for junior cycle?also do the definitions have to be spot-on,i heard the marking scheme is pretty harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Why are you choosing your level in your leaving cert subject before you have even completed your Junior Cert. Just doesn't make sense to me. Never heard of anything remotely like it.

Why are you choosing your level in your leaving cert subject before you have even completed your Junior Cert. Just doesn't make sense to me. Never heard of anything remotely like it.

I'm not quite sure many schools including mine require pupils to do pick their subject. Maybe the can put students in the classes they pick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure many schools including mine require pupils to do pick their subject. Maybe the can put students in the classes they pick

Well I remember making subject choice alright just not the level.

Well I remember making subject choice alright just not the level.

in my school you just start the course at the level you were for jc for the core subjects.if you choose to drop down thats your own business.maybe not the others though,didnt think about that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭christy11

Design and communication graphics (DCG) is a very easy subject to do and id highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tesco TripleChicken

Doesn't look like anyones mentioned Engineering. By far the easiest subject, easy HL A even if you didn't do metalw. for JC.
    DCG is easy too just practice past exam Qs and your set.

Advertisement