Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music

Options
  • 12-02-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys,

I'm halfway through fifth year and I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to take up Music as an extra subject. I've completed my Gold Medal in music so I have most of the practical side of the subject done.

I was thinking of buying the book and teaching myself over summer with some help from my choir teacher... Do you think it would be possible to get an A in it if I tried?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

Okay, there are three elements to the Music course:

Listening 25%
    Composition. 25%
    Pratical 25% (you should be okay for this)

There is also an elective of 25% which you add on. The electives correspomd with the three parts above. Most people take the Pratical elective, so the pratical is now 50%

The Listening is okay but you just need to be actively listening to the pieces. Its as it say on the tin, listening and answering questions. However there are classical pieces and you need to know the Form, Instruments, Themes and insteuments of every piece and it can be tricky, but managable. The books are helpfull and I'm sure your choir teacher could help you.

Composition is different however. I don't know if you know any theory or not but its essential. There are two questions you need to answer on the paper: Melody and harmony. These can be tricky to comprehend. If you are serious about music and don't know theory then maybe start learning a bit now on the side. Come summer, you can tackle the compositions.

The pratical is ultimately playing a couple of songs on a chosen instrument. Just remeber to chose pieces you enjoy, not something really complex to show off to the examiner! As you have gold medal (well done and where can I get one!) you should be fine, just make sure you are 100% comfotable with your pieces. As I have mentioned, you can add on the pratical elective if you wish. However, this can include music technology and sightreading (theory needed once again). Maybe just check on the electives part of the music as I am not 100% sure about them. Overall, the practical will be grand.

To answer your intial question, Yes I don't see why you cant get an A. Learn theory now (if you don't already know it). To quote Conan O' Brien "Work hard, be kind and amazing things will happen".

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

Had two friends that took up music in January of the leaving cert year and got b1's out of it with little or no theory knowledge. The composition section is key but once you know and follow the rules for them they are very straightforward. The irish music and pop music sections are also quite easy to pick up with the classical section really being about knowing the script inside out! Very doable and for the effort put into it you will get big returns compared to other subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lauriangel

Thanks so much this was so helpful!
    I think I'm going to get a few grinds over the summer also to help..

Thanks again!

Advertisement