Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice

Options
  • 12-02-2014 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm currently in junior cert and after the mid term we will have to pick our subjects for the leaving cert, I'm just wondering what are your opinions on each subject? I think I'll definitely do German,Ag science and Biology. I need one more subject so your opinions on the optional subjects you do will be welcome.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I'm currently in junior cert and after the mid term we will have to pick our subjects for the leaving cert, I'm just wondering what are your opinions on each subject? I think I'll definitely do German,Ag science and Biology. I need one more subject so your opinions on the optional subjects you do will be welcome.thanks

What are your favourite subjects? What are you good at? These are the two main questions you have to ask yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Pick something you like and not what people say are easy. You'll find the subjects you like easier than those you choose for "easy points". If you want to keep business options open maybe you'd consider doing economics or accounting. Only subject I'd advise you to avoid is chemistry unless you're convinced you'll do science/pharmacy/medicine in third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shirttime

From your already chosen subjects you probably don't like essays so I wouldn't advise history,religion and geography and business are pretty essay /long answers as well. But do pick what you like best because as I've found out its easier to study something you are actually interested in! If you have home economics in your school do it,any of my friends that did biology said its basically the same with a bit of common knowledge!

robman60 wrote: »
    Pick something you like and not what people say are easy. You'll find the subjects you like easier than those you choose for "easy points". If you want to keep business options open maybe you'd consider doing economics or accounting. Only subject I'd advise you to avoid is chemistry unless you're convinced you'll do science/pharmacy/medicine in third level.

Why would you say that regarding chemistry. It seems to have a very bad rep but I find it quite good to be honest. You get to do plenty of experiments if that's the sort of thing you like and while it can be hard to get your head around sometimes once you do it involves a lot less rote learning than the likes of biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Blue giant wrote: »
    Why would you say that regarding chemistry. It seems to have a very bad rep but I find it quite good to be honest. You get to do plenty of experiments if that's the sort of thing you like and while it can be hard to get your head around sometimes once you do it involves a lot less rote learning than the likes of biology.

It's largely based on personal preference but I'd summarise my feelings as follows:

1) Very harsh marking scheme. Probably due to the large number of talented students who take the subject, and the desire to approximately standard distribute.

2) Actually a very large course. We still have five or so chapters left while in most other subjects we have maybe two chapters remaining.

3) Involves a large amount of meaningless learning of definitions. It's not as bad as something like biology maybe (I don't actually do biology) but does have a lot of learning.

4) It may be because I struggle with the subject, but I find the exam questions seem to have a lot of emphasis on the most difficult parts of each section. Not very many "easy" marks around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Could someone explain the main differences between Business, Economics and Accounting? I'm currently doing Business at the moment and find it to be an alright subject

It's largely based on personal preference but I'd summarise my feelings as follows:

1) Very harsh marking scheme. Probably due to the large number of talented students who take the subject, and the desire to approximately standard distribute.

2) Actually a very large course. We still have five or so chapters left while in most other subjects we have maybe two chapters remaining.

3) Involves a large amount of meaningless learning of definitions. It's not as bad as something like biology maybe (I don't actuaIlly do biology) but does have a lot of learning.

4) It may be because I struggle with the subject, but I find the exam questions seem to have a lot of emphasis on the most difficult parts of each section. Not very many "easy" marks around.

I would agree with you on most of that based on anything we've done so far but just wanted to give a more fair view of the course. It definitely has its pros and cons but I find the pros outweigh the cons for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I'd summarise my feelings as follows:

3) Involves a large amount of meaningless learning of definitions. It's not as bad as something like biology maybe (I don't actually do biology) but does have a lot of learning.

I think the above is a very good summary of LC Chemistry. I required far more wordage to make the same points on another thread.

Regarding the bolded:

1. That is the primary reason for hte harsh marking scheme, IMO - the content just isn't tricky enough to be able differentiate a small cohort of relatively talented students.

2. Many of the definitions aren't asked to examine understanding - i.e. you could be deducted marks for a definition, yet apply the principle correctly in a subsequent part of a question.

Advertisement