Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biomedical Science jobs in Canada

• 12-02-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I'm really reaching out to people who have some sort of first hand experience with the application process for work visas in Canada etc. here but all feedback is massively welcome.

I'm a 4th year biomedical science student in UCC/CIT and will be finished in May 2014. I'll then be doing clinical placement from September 14- May/June 15 and after that things get complicated. I'm hoping to apply for a working visa to Canada and move to Vancouver in July/August 2015 for a couple of years and take up a position in a medical lab there. But a friend of mine has said that she thinks I may need 3+ years working experience here before I can even apply to work abroad. Does anybody know if this is true? I've tried to track down more info but it is proving difficult as usual.

Any relevant info around this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 macken7

Hi ya,

Wondering if you have heard any news on this matter, I'm in a similar situation myself. I feel your pain, so hard the get the info you are looking for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I would contact the professional body for the profession in the state that you wish to work in. I.e. The Vancouver equivalent of the AMLS or IBMS. They would either answer your questions or direct you to someone who can.
    The AMLS website has a list of organisations from different countries, Canada might be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

They're called Medical Lab Technologists over there, this page explains the process
    http://csmls.org/Certification/Certification-Process/IEMLT.aspx

I know lads who are working in labs over but they have pharmacology or mirco degrees, think the biomed is known to pay better

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Turtle_Dove

Hi Macken7,

I have actually, I went to the CanadaExpo which was a sort of careers fair and found out quite a lot from Canadian representatives there. All of this information is non-official, however, in that I didn't get it directly from the CSMLS so I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate. Anyway, apparently there are plenty of jobs available in larger cities and less popular areas. So the likes of Toronto and other provinces outside of BC offer greater chances of employment than Vancouver etc. That said, however, I have done some research and LifeLabs appear to be recruiting for a couple of positions in Vancouver at the moment so all is not lost. Additionally, you have to do the national MLT exam over there to be fully recognised and licensed to practice, but I've been told that you are in fact allowed to work as an MLT for 1 year whilst studying for the exam. The hitch is your work will be supervised and you will be on 90% of the fully qualified MLT's wage, which isn't bad at all!

Advertisement