Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Brief 2014 - Maths...Anyone?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I missed the Maths exam brief this year and was wondering if anybody has the online link to it - cannot find it anywhere on the Irish Independent website. Failing that does anybody have a spare copy lying around? I find it great for organising revision, it also provides a good checklist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Hi guys,

I missed the Maths exam brief this year and was wondering if anybody has the online link to it - cannot find it anywhere on the Irish Independent website. Failing that does anybody have a spare copy lying around? I find it great for organising revision, it also provides a good checklist.

Hey,
    Have you tried emailing the Irish Independent? I've emailed newspapers before about articles and usually they have no problem sending you on a PDF of it.
    Otherwise, If its any use to you I have it lying around and I could send you photos if you like. Not sure if it would be of any benefit to you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Flickka wrote: »
    Not sure if it would be of any benefit to you though.

It's usually worthless: anyone who doesn't know the structure of the paper or answering techniques, at this stage, is doomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I think the Times had a guide out the same day as well from the Institute but I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

It's usually worthless: anyone who doesn't know the structure of the paper or answering techniques, at this stage, is doomed!

This is a piece from the IT, written by a student, called, "How to get your A1 in Physics":
    With its long detailed course with tricky problems and it is a hassle when it comes to exam time. But there are a few things you can do to make life easier when it comes to D-Day.

Know your experiments: this is the part of the exam where you can score 120 out of 120 handily. These questions often repeat themselves throughout the years. Practise them even if they are not likely to come up. Practise all the past paper questions. Many of them repeat.

When practising any physics question, make sure you can identify what chapter it is from, what formulae are relevant and then figure out what steps are required to get to the answer. When you get the answer wrong, learn from your mistakes Formulae are the heart and soul of this exam. Know where to find them, and any other key information, in your maths tables booklet. Be aware that formulae that are not in the log tables are the ones that are asked most frequently.

What helped me the most was grouping all the relevant formulae from the sections of the course and learning them group by group. This is what I believe got me my A1. Learn your definitions, derivations and units. These are the fundamentals to each question. Don’t leave any of the sections out, as some of them may be easy questions in the exam. Especially particle physics and applied electricity as they are guaranteed to be asked.

Again, doing well in the physics exam requires a lot of practise. Repetition of the processes will teach you how to approach questions and understand how to manipulate the formulae. If you can do that, there is no question you can’t solve.

It's absolutely mindless, and written by someone who certainly didn't get an A1 in English. I was going to critique it, but, the problem is, I agree with nothing he has said!

The following are just some of his incorrect or utterly banal points: "(Physics is) a hassle when it comes to exam time" [not in my experience], "Practise (experiment questions) even if they are not likely to come up", "When practising any physics question, know what chapter it's from", "When you get the answer wrong, learn from your mistakes", "Know where to find (formulae) ... in your maths tables booklet", "Be aware that formulae that are not in the log tables are the ones that are asked most frequently" [no truth to that], "Learn your definitions, derivations and units".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

@Mr. Pseudonym: I agree with you completely. My parents give me these newspaper inserts as if there's just some magical technique to exam success. Am I the only one who notices that many of them give completely helpless advice like "Make sure you know everything possible and then you're guaranteed to get an A!!!!!!" as if that's helpful advice. It's true, but not beneficial in any way.

robman60 wrote: »
    My parents give me these newspaper inserts as if there's just some magical technique to exam success.

Lol - my parents did the exact same thing! They accumulated them over a few weeks, and then presented me with the complete batch!! This is NOT a joke...my mother even had a study check-list from one of them laminated for me! :rolleyes:

For the OP: I think this is the link (can't open it cause storm playing havoc with my internet) for the Irish Times equivalent. The Institute used to partner with the Independent for the writing of Exam Brief, but they have since switched allegiances to the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Lol - my parents did the exact same thing! They accumulated them over a few weeks, and then presented me with the complete batch!! This is NOT a joke...my mother even had a study check-list from one of them laminated for me! :rolleyes:

For the OP: I think this is the link (can't open it cause storm playing havoc with my internet) for the Irish Times equivalent. The Institute used to partner with the Independent for the writing of Exam Brief, but they have since switched allegiances to the Irish Times.

Ah very good, the print friendly version :) BTW mothers are great! Laminated and all...ahhh...that's so nice! :)

Advertisement