Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Balbriggan

Options
  • 12-02-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi all :)

I am from Armagh and my wife is Georgian and we have 3 kids (1, 3 and 6).

We plan to more back to Ireland in 2015 and I am considering Balbriggan.

I don't know the area at all and so have some qns

1) whats the transport links like to Dublin? whats the cost?
    2) are most amenities (schools, parks, shops) accessible on foot?
    3) how far is the nearest shopping centre? e.g. Tescos
    4) how / where /when do I register my 6 yr old for school?
    5) which parts of the town are the best to live in (access to amentities / schools / low crime)

in your estimation, what would be the cost for us to live there?
    education / public t/port / food / heating and electricity / gym / tv license

am I missing a/thing? :confused:

Thanks

antgal23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Train from Station in town. good enough service, check irishrail.ie for prices. It depends on if you use an annual, weekly or monthly ticket. PAYG is expensive

Plenty of schools, parks and shops on foot. Big supervalue in town centre, and big Tesco up near graveyard all accessible by foot.
    Parks are plenty but the best of all is Argillan. You can walk from the town and I've done it regularly or you can cycle to the Ladies stairs and walk over the rail bridge into the park.
    http://www.ardgillancastle.ie/

See above

School options are here
    http://www.balbriggan.info/schools_in_balbriggan.shtml

5) which parts of the town are the best to live in (access to amentities / schools / low crime)
    Like anything, your budget will determine where you live. I know someone looking for a place in the town at the moment and it looks only like Moylaragh has surplus places to rent at the moment. It might be worth your while staying in a B&B or Hotel for a night and taking a drive/taxi around and deciding for your self.
    Maybe go to the many letting agents in the town and see what they have to try myhome.ie or let.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Also very good bus links to Dublin. There is a Bus Eireann service which is very regular and has an express service in the morning and evenings. There is also a private bus company who run a service from the shopping centre in the morning and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Thanks Kaisersoze for the great info
    kaisersoze wrote: »

Train from Station in town. good enough service, check irishrail.ie for prices. It depends on if you use an annual, weekly or monthly ticket. PAYG is expensive

Plenty of schools, parks and shops on foot. Big supervalue in town centre, and big Tesco up near graveyard all accessible by foot.
    Parks are plenty but the best of all is Argillan. You can walk from the town and I've done it regularly or you can cycle to the Ladies stairs and walk over the rail bridge into the park.
    http://www.ardgillancastle.ie/

See above

School options are here
    http://www.balbriggan.info/schools_in_balbriggan.shtml

Like anything, your budget will determine where you live. I know someone looking for a place in the town at the moment and it looks only like Moylaragh has surplus places to rent at the moment. It might be worth your while staying in a B&B or Hotel for a night and taking a drive/taxi around and deciding for your self.
    Maybe go to the many letting agents in the town and see what they have to try myhome.ie or let.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Advertisement