Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ich brauche etwas Hilfe mit meine Grammatik

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,860 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of help with a particular way of saying something correctly, in a way that doesn't just sound like an unnatural translation of the English words.

It is in relation to sport and discussing the league standings. I tried to do a bit of research on it but could only find things like 'Ribery fires Bayern to the top of the table'. I know we have 'die Spitze der Liga' but again that just sounds like a direct translation where one might not naturally apply.

What would be the best way to say the following?
    1) Bayern are top of the league
    2) Dortmund are third in the league
    3) I am top of the league
    4) Manchester City were third in the league

Don't worry, I don't intend to use this place as a dictionary but any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    Just looking for a bit of help with a particular way of saying something correctly, in a way that doesn't just sound like an unnatural translation of the English words.

It is in relation to sport and discussing the league standings. I tried to do a bit of research on it but could only find things like 'Ribery fires Bayern to the top of the table'. I know we have 'die Spitze der Liga' but again that just sounds like a direct translation where one might not naturally apply.

What would be the best way to say the following?
    1) Bayern are top of the league
    2) Dortmund are third in the league
    3) I am top of the league
    4) Manchester City were third in the league

Don't worry, I don't intend to use this place as a dictionary but any help here would be greatly appreciated.

1) Bayern ist Tabellenerster
    2) Dortmund ist Tabellendritter
    3) Ich fuehre die Tabelle an
    4) Man City waren Tabellendritter

No3 is a bit different, because you are person, not a club ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,860 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lars1916 wrote: »
    1) Bayern ist Tabellenerster
    2) Dortmund ist Tabellendritter
    3) Ich fuehre die Tabelle an
    4) Man City waren Tabellendritter

No3 is a bit different, because you are person, not a club ;)
    Thanks Lars, so the direct translation is completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CSF wrote: »
    Thanks Lars, so the direct translation is completely wrong?

It's not completely wrong, they would still understand you in Germany :)

...but to add a bit more fussiness, the correct grammar of the title of this thread should be 'meiner' Grammatik ;-)

Advertisement