Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gáis Energy Gas Account closed when only just opened? WTF?!

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience if they have had one similar to me.

I moved into my place a year ago this month. :D I opened up a gas & electricity account with Bord Gais Energy in February. I'm on paperless billing with the two accounts and direct debit.
    I noticed a while ago that I haven't had a bill in ages for the GAS (I am still getting gas) but I was for the electricity. WEIRD EH? :confused: I suppose because I have accounts for both gas and electricity it didn't dawn on me because I was going to the same website but logging in at different points.

So I emailed in towards the end of January querying this and I expressed how worried I was about the bill. The reply after nearly 2 weeks was "your account has been closed". WTF? I was corresponding with them saying I never closed it etc etc. They said they would get back to me, I waited 36hrs (at least) and still nothing. The last bill I received was in July 2013 :confused:

I rang up Bord Gais Energy yesterday and they said the account was closed in March. (1 month after opening the account!!??!!) The girl I was onto said I must have been switched to another company. I told her I never signed up to any other company, she said sometimes they can switch you over anyway (without permission?!) She was very definite that my account was closed. She suggested I ring around the companies and ask was I with them. I asked could Bord Gais Networks tell me. She said no and that I would have to ring around the companies myself. :eek: Found the list of companies myself and when I got to the 2nd one the guy told me Bord Gais Networks could tell me (and save me time)

Bord Gais Networks CONFIRMED I had an account with Bord Gais Energy.
    :mad::mad::mad:

I got on to Bord Gais Energy (again) told them everything. I told them I confirmed with Bord Gais Networks that I have an account with only Bord Gais Energy. She put me on hold and checked it out. She came back to me saying she was on to Bord Gais Networks and I was right (duh!), but doesn't know how or why my account was closed. :mad:

This is now under investigation.
    The 2nd girl I was dealing with was quite helpful and she will be ringing me back with updates. I asked the girl how much does she think roughly it will be she said (and to not quote her on this) roughly €600!:eek: She said she will go through payment options etc next time she rings me. I'll keep you guys updated about it. I hope they knock some €€'s off the official damage price, (which it is doubtful!)

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Or has anyone else heard of this before? Totally devastated this happened - and I find it extremely upsetting. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Can't really offer much help, but the utilities seem to be gettting worse.
    I'm with the ESB for gas and electricity, and whereas they can manage the ESB ok, I didn't receive a gas bill or direct debit since september. After querying it they sent a letter apologising for a "systems failure" which they say won't happen again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

it's like looking at a Bebo page!!!

the bad news ... if you used the gas you will have to pay for it.
    Good news .... as it was their mistake you can dictate to some extent how the arrears are paid off (€20 per month or something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

whippet wrote: »
    it's like looking at a Bebo page!!!

the bad news ... if you used the gas you will have to pay for it.
    Good news .... as it was their mistake you can dictate to some extent how the arrears are paid off (€20 per month or something like that)

I've no problem paying for my usage...but would love a touch off it that's all!

Totally not my fault, normally don't you have to ask for a final bill? I never did such a thing!

UPDATE: Well the final result is €493.

Going to pay it all out in one go! I'm going to be on to them later rearranging DD as that has been stopped too! Going to ask more information about the cancellation and why it happened and has it happened to anyone else before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Make sure you're happy with the meter readings on the bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Paybel wrote: »
    UPDATE: Well the final result is €493.

Going to pay it all out in one go! I'm going to be on to them later rearranging DD as that has been stopped too! Going to ask more information about the cancellation and why it happened and has it happened to anyone else before.

Seems like you went out of your way to get charged!

Will do - I did a reading before I rang them the other night. I will be checking what their record will say

Seems like you went out of your way to get charged!

I don't understand how I did. It was a year's worth..

It's working out to be €44 a month roughly

Advertisement