Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave Benefit - MC1 and MC2 forms

Options
  • 12-02-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am unable to work since last Friday (hopefully only for a week or two, but all will depend on my blood test results, as I might require a minor surgery). I am only now starting to discover all the amazingly complex-looking requirements in terms of sick benefit. :confused:

Facts:
    - I was in-patient in a hospital on Friday, but only for 1 day, and - providing my state doesn't get worse - am to spend the remainder of my sick leave at home
    - the hospital gave me the MC1 form to fill out, and I posted the completed MC1 form to the indicated address yesterday
    - the company I work for will pay for the first 3 days of my sick leave, and from my understanding of the 2014 changes, the state won't pay for the first 6 days

Queries:
    1) does the MC1 form cover the first week of sick leave, or do I need an MC2 form for the first week also?
    2) where do I take the MC2 form from? The welfare.ie website mentions "my doctor". The hospital staff told me yesterday I need to get the form from my GP. My GP, however, has no involvement in this situation, since I started my sick leave from a visit in a hospital, and the doctor dealing with me is the hospital's staff. Also, I am sure the GP will charge me for a visit if I go there to get the form?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi, the regulations changed this year
    This means that a person will not be entitled to Illness Benefit for the first 6 days of their claim (unless the person was receiving Illness Benefit, Injury Benefit or a jobseekers' payment immediately before their claim).

The MC1 covers the first week, and you should be seen by your own GP on the 7th day (or around it) to get the MC2 form. He/She then decides how long your sickleave will last etc.

Unfortunatly the first visit must be paid to your GP if you are not a medical card holder. If you need MC2 form or the final certificate after your initial GP visit, they should be free from your GP. (they are getting paid by the state for writing those)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭emka1984

Hi, I managed to get the MC2 form from my hospital doctor. Thankfully, I am supposed to be back in work on Monday, which means 6 "sick" days. As per the new regulation, I will get nothing from the state, so, I believe. But it's good to know what the story is with the paperwork, in case (hopefully not!) I need it again.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its important for anyone not receiving full pay from their employer while on sick leave to still submit certs even though you have to wait 6 days for payment as you will still get a credited contribution for this perod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colmcille16

I am a Class A PRSI and was in hospital on Tuesday and had a Dr's cert for my employer until the end of the week which I gave in. I was unsure about the MC1 and 2 forms. Ive just been looking it up as I may not be able to return to work on Monday. Should I have filled in a MC1 form or should I get a MC2 form and send it in to the Department?
    Thanks in anticipation for your answer.

You need an MC1 form to start your illness benefit claim and an MC2 weekly until you submit your final cert which is on the opposite side of the MC2. Illness benefit isnt paid for the first 6 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 colmcille16

Thank you, so if I'm off on Monday I will need to fill in a MC1 form and send it in to the Department of Education? Hopefully I may only need another day or two.

Department of Social Protection is where you need to send your MC1 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do you get paid for week of sending in final cert

Advertisement