Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Did anyone watch this? It wasn't bad. It's a bit odd in how it's story is told, in that it's almost like they didn't know if they should make it like a Bond film or like a true to life story. This really shows in the dialogue which is contrived, but kind of fits in if you view the show like one of the 1960's Bond movies.

It's worth a watch if you're a Bond fan, but I'm not sure how well it'll go down with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i liked the not quite bond parts but the s&m love story parts not so much, too much melodrama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, I gotta agree. If they got rid of all the relationship melodrama and just focused on his war time career it would have been a lot better...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've seen the four parts. Its a badly acted waste of time. Fleming's story is told far better and more accurately elsewhere. He was in Naval Intelligence during WWII. Plenty of other people were too. He did run spies in Europe and played a role in The Man Who Never Was thingy.
    The teenager depicted in this wouldn't get into Copperfaced Jacks on a bad night, never mind a paying job. And I know the actor can do better - watch The Devils Double (a pity Dominic Cooper didn't when he accepted this career nosedive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I've seen the four parts. Its a badly acted waste of time. Fleming's story is told far better and more accurately elsewhere. He was in Naval Intelligence during WWII. Plenty of other people were too. He did run spies in Europe and played a role in The Man Who Never Was thingy.
    The teenager depicted in this wouldn't get into Copperfaced Jacks on a bad night, never mind a paying job. And I know the actor can do better - watch The Devils Double (a pity Dominic Cooper didn't when he accepted this career nosedive).

AA Gill's Sunday Times review agreed with you:

Rarely does a big-budget, high-production-values, bells, whistles, whole-damn-brass-band dramatic disaster arise so perfectly, fully formed and unaware, without a single redeeming feature …To say that Fleming [the man] is made to look unpleasant is to do a disservice to treading in dog sh1t with bare feet, or having a child puke into your lap at the start of a 10-hour flight. These are mere moment of light relief compared with the character they've came up with. The oafish, vile misogyny, the groping, insulting, venomous chat-up charm is beyond parody.

…I Wish everyone involved with this well: I hope you all pick yourselfs up, learn a lesson, get on with your careers. And when people ask about the gap in your CV, just tell them you were having a nervous breakdown in a private sanatorium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Have to say I really enjoyed this mini series.. Pity there wasn't more..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

About to watch this now, worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Raf32 wrote: »
    About to watch this now, worth it?

I enjoyed and I'm a fan of 007 :)

Advertisement