Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Lego movie sets?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I still did not had a chance to see a movie :(, but looks like it's a big success to Lego so far. I need to borrow some kids to go and watch it. :pac: I don't know if my buddie would go see it with me. :(

So on topic: those sets look. A lot of them have 2 building versions too. Mecks look cool too. The other few sets that coming out look very nice too. Like that classic spaceship and yellow Emmets meck.

I really doubt those sets will drop in price any time soon as movie actually booming. Though I would still like to get them. Did anyone got them so far? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

I went to a preview at the weekend with a mate and want to see it again this weekend so if you're in Mullingar give me a shout!

I was wondering whether the Mechs would double up as fire truck/ ice cream van etc. I will definitely get that Emmet Mech if it comes out, looked awesome!

OT: I haven't got any yet but will probably get one after the lil ones bday next month
    (possible movie spoiler) and then not let her play with it, IRONY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

Have not seen the movie but am looking forward to it. As for the sets I do like a lot of them especially those that are two in ones. The trash chomper is one of my favourites as is the fire engine mech. I think it is only available at the lego shop though. The larger sets that are coming up do look cool too. That appears to be the problem with lego, far too much of it is very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The sets that are currently on shelves don't do a lot for me (but then again, I haven't seen the movie, so they just seem a bit random until I do) but the ones coming in the summer wave look phenomenal IMO. The 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship and 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! both look great, but my favourite from the images so far is 70814 Emmet's Constructo-Mech:

12212772154_b0540c814a_k.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Loving the look of Benny's Spaceship - very retro 1980s classic space feel to it. :cool:

owu9Evg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

Agreed those sets do look the business alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Movie doing very very well. Good to hear! No way Lego Movie sets will be Bargain fodder!

I think I will get few sets after all, they do look fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm not a fan of the current sets however the Mech and Police Dropship look pretty cool.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

So yeah... I want to go and see Lego MOVIE!!! Can I rent any of your kids lads? I bet I will look like a weirdo in Cinema lol.

So yeah... I want to go and see Lego MOVIE!!! Can I rent any of your kids lads? I bet I will look like a weirdo in Cinema lol.

Forget about that, just go see it. I did last night, and it is friggin' awesome :)

It adds context to the sets too, which is nice.

Forget about that, just go see it. I did last night, and it is friggin' awesome :)

It adds context to the sets too, which is nice.

Thats one of the reasons I want to go and see it too. I bet its going to be a cluster**** in Cinema for the next few days. :( Specially today.

I will try to go and see it next thursday when all kids in School! :pac:

• Advertisement

Thats one of the reasons I want to go and see it too. I bet its going to be a cluster**** in Cinema for the next few days. :( Specially today.

I will try to go and see it next thursday when all kids in School! :pac:

Bad news...it's mid-term break next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Went to see it yesterday, cinema wasn't as busy as I thought would be, have to say film is awsome, I'm more into my technic but makes me want to go out and get a load of lego now.

Never a fan of Ships in Lego, but holy cow this is EPIC!!!!

Price a bit Scary though... 250$ and as we know, it is most likely 150eu here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Went to see it yesterday, cinema wasn't as busy as I thought would be, have to say film is awsome, I'm more into my technic but makes me want to go out and get a load of lego now.

Me too! It was a great movie and I am now consciously saving for sets!

Never a fan of Ships in Lego, but holy cow this is EPIC!!!!

Price a bit Scary though... 250$ and as we know, it is most likely 150eu here.

€150 is actually being optimistic IMO - which is a pity, because it looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

€150 is actually being optimistic IMO - which is a pity, because it looks excellent.

I'm guessing that was a typo and he meant €250. Which is the price in Germany. Don't like the Sea Cow at all. It's just all over the place for me. Think the town vehicles are great, love the big chunky police car and (being an 80s kid) Benny's spaceship.

I'm guessing that was a typo and he meant €250. Which is the price in Germany. Don't like the Sea Cow at all. It's just all over the place for me. Think the town vehicles are great, love the big chunky police car and (being an 80s kid) Benny's spaceship.

Yeah, it was typo. I ment 250eu. What's the piece count on it and do we know release date? I got few quid saved up and I am not sure if I better get few smaller sets that are out now or wait for some of those big cool ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yeah, it was typo. I ment 250eu. What's the piece count on it and do we know release date? I got few quid saved up and I am not sure if I better get few smaller sets that are out now or wait for some of those big cool ones.

March and 2741. Said I'd only buy modulars and a big technic set from now on, but lego are really pushing me. I'm going to get the Simpsons House, Ecto-1 (since they didn't butcher it) and really think the Ice-cream truck etc. look more up to the standard of the Modulars than the standard city stuff. Thankfully, they seem to be making a balls of Technic.

When the first images of the set surfaced I wasn't sure what to make it, but having loved the movie it really does entice me more towards it. It would also be a good surrogate for those of us that missed the Imperial Flagship. I don't think I'll be getting it, though - just a stretch too far in price when there are other things out there that I've had my eye on.

Edit: I *think* the Sea Cow is actually released today for VIP members, general release in March.

When the first images of the set surfaced I wasn't sure what to make it, but having loved the movie it really does entice me more towards it. It would also be a good surrogate for those of us that missed the Imperial Flagship. I don't think I'll be getting it, though - just a stretch too far in price when there are other things out there that I've had my eye on.

Edit: I *think* the Sea Cow is actually released today for VIP members, general release in March.

I did not got email about it and it is not showing up on website, you sure about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

(being an 80s kid) Benny's spaceship.

Yeah me too! I suspect a lot of the Benny's spaceships will be owned by Dads, no matter who they're bought 'for' :D

Paddy

I did not got email about it and it is not showing up on website, you sure about it?

I haven't gotten an email either, now that you mention - but it is out for VIPs, see this article from Brickset:

http://brickset.com/article/10178/metalbeard-s-sea-cow-available-now-to-vip-members

I got the email maybe an hour ago about it. Its also in the shop, its not at the top of the lustings thought it's down a few rows. Limited to 1 per account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I got the email maybe an hour ago about it. Its also in the shop, its not at the top of the lustings thought it's down a few rows. Limited to 1 per account.

250 euro..........:eek:

I love that Metal beard Ship, I really do, but 250eu is taking a piss.

I noticed that for own theme for which they dont need to pay licensing fees - its damn expensive theme! :eek:

In fairness sets are really cool, specially the ones that have secondary "normal" build and Classic ship. Though Lego could show some Love to its fanbase. :o

I was actually thinking of Metal beard for my Birthday Present in March, but today I found out, that we might be moving fecking again... :mad: So my expenses might be redirected to moving again ffs. Its not even 6 months yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I haven't gotten an email either, now that you mention - but it is out for VIPs, see this article from Brickset:

http://brickset.com/article/10178/metalbeard-s-sea-cow-available-now-to-vip-members

How exactly does $250 translate into €249 for them?

GodlessM wrote: »
    How exactly does $250 translate into €249 for them?

The sets aren't translated from one currency to the next, alas - they are priced differently for each region. The US typically get the best prices, but one can only speculate as to why. It could be that the size of the market/cost of doing business gives the company scale economies (Australia consistently gets a rough deal with prices, for example, probably because of the logistics going halfway across the world); it could be competitive conditions in the US versus Europe - the US has a number of very large retailers who would have a bit more clout over suppliers and probably have demands over the price of products that go on their shelves (particularly given how competitive the market is) which may not be the case in Europe. As I said, that's just speculation.

The odd thing is that some sets translate a lot more evenly than others - there have been sets where the RRP translates almost exactly according to currency translation, and others have a huge mark up, so it doesn't seem very consistent either.

The sets aren't translated from one currency to the next, alas - they are priced differently for each region. The US typically get the best prices, but one can only speculate as to why. It could be that the size of the market/cost of doing business gives the company scale economies (Australia consistently gets a rough deal with prices, for example, probably because of the logistics going halfway across the world); it could be competitive conditions in the US versus Europe - the US has a number of very large retailers who would have a bit more clout over suppliers and probably have demands over the price of products that go on their shelves (particularly given how competitive the market is) which may not be the case in Europe. As I said, that's just speculation.

The odd thing is that some sets translate a lot more evenly than others - there have been sets where the RRP translates almost exactly according to currency translation, and others have a huge mark up, so it doesn't seem very consistent either.

I cannot see any sort of system lego has. Its as random as weather in Ireland.

249eu in Ireland
    169£ in UK

Considering North Ireland is on same Island and all it just makes no sense logistic wise to be more expensive.

Tower of Orthanc

199eu in Ireland
    169£ in UK

Like WTF?! :mad:

Don't forget US prices have sales tax on top of the price displayed, this can be a high as 10% so $249 could end up being $275 still not €250 though, but it's something that is often forgotten when comparing prices. Saying that there are states which also have very low sales tax.

• Advertisement

Don't forget US prices have sales tax on top of the price displayed, this can be a high as 10% so $249 could end up being $275 still not €250 though, but it's something that is often forgotten when comparing prices. Saying that there are states which also have very low sales tax.

well, in this case you dont need to look at states. Look at UK vs Ireland I posted above. Does not make sense at all. Even worse when Lego dont need to pay for License of Sea cow!

Advertisement