Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Getting Paid Enough For All This Work?? :S

Options
  • 11-02-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Firstly I'm not sure am I posting in the right forum or whatever so feel free to move me :P

Hey guys, I'm desperately of in need of advice here! I have just landed my first proper part-time job, before this I was just doing bits of work for a few days here and there whenever the opportunity arose.

The job I applied for were looking for a PR person for a bar who also had to have knowledge of Photoshop for poster design etc. Which seemed perfect for me as I am in college, have a good lot of free time and have an extensive knowledge of photography and Photoshop. I applied and was given a two week trial and I got the job.

However my problem is that ever since I seem to be getting calls to do all kinds of work and I have absolutely no idea what I should be getting paid. Unfortunately there is no contract considering I am a student and this is a small part-time thing. Below is a list of the kind of work I'm doing

Photoshop Poster Design
    Event & Gig Organisation (organising bands, gear, times etc)
    PR (advertising within my college and on Facebook 7 days a week)
    Photography (whenever there is a good band or a good crowd in the bar, also includes photoshoping images & uploading + tagging names on Facebook)

I feel like I'm definitely being taken advantage of as I am a student and am getting crap pay as I'm only being paid €25 for a night I organise an event and am down at the bar. There is a lot of work that goes into doing all the above jobs and I know I'm good at them, my boss reckons the bar isn't doing good business which leaves the wages issue more awkward to approach.

Anyway was hoping somebody here may have some good advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

25 euro per night? not including all the prep work before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Belle.24

Yes just €25 for a night I organise the event, do all the preparing and advertising and take photos at the event and post them on the bars page the next day :/ If the Bar makes over €1,000 in a night then I'm suppose to get 10% of the takings but that never happens

Belle.24 wrote: »
    Yes just €25 for a night I organise the event, do all the preparing and advertising and take photos at the event and post them on the bars page the next day :/

That is crazy! you make a intership sound like a good job to have, maybe its good for experience but if I were you I'd quit.That is serious exploitation if you ask me.

haha yeah I know its ridiculous, I think if I had an idea of what I should be charging for per poster design, per event organised or per-days PR work and if I put that to my boss I could decide to quit based on whether he says he'd pay me near that amount or not. But as it stands I have no clue. :/

I think there is a "event organizing" forum here some where, could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

how many hours a night roughly would you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

can this lead to bigger and better things or is it coalface stuff. if its coalface then you need €10 per hour. if it is a means to an end then it depends.

I work maybe 2 hours a night I'm down at the bar doing photography, If I'm making posters for the bar they take about 4 hours each (and I've made 3 posters last week alone), and apart from those jobs I'm constantly advertising the bar everyday online and in college and getting in contact with bands and acts to organise events in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

There's no way any premises would give you 10% of the takings per night.

It sounds as though the owner is stringing you along with false promises and pity stories of poor takings.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

€25 an hour it should be if you re skilled in photography and Photoshop.

• Advertisement

Kevwoody wrote: »
    There's no way any premises would give you 10% of the takings per night.

It sounds as though the owner is stringing you along with false promises and pity stories of poor takings.

Well I'd only get 10% of a night that they make one thousand euro from an event I have organised, if they don't reach the thousand euro mark I just get the standard €25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

do you get free beer

most bars will make over $1000

just add numbers of people,,most will spend 20-50

your getting screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

The legal minimum wage is €8.65. You get that for just turning up. If you're doing more than 3 hours/week on this job, you're been ripped off.

You do poster design and photography... That's creative and what you do might be unique, i.e., no one else can do it quite as good as you can? I'd probably start at €30 an hour and get my phone bill paid as well. Or maybe call yourself a 'brand ambassador' for the pub and get €300/week for all your promoting on FB etc...

I didn't put too much detail into the last paragraph but hopefully you get the idea that your brain/creative talents are worth more than minimum wage...

If your current boss won't pay you what you're worth, maybe stick with it for another few weeks and then go to a new bar/nightclub with facts/figures on how much 'you' improved the last bar and ask for a new job?

do you get free beer

Haha no, but maybe if I did it would make the crap pay less painful :L

Dubwat wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

The legal minimum wage is €8.65. You get that for just turning up. If you're doing more than 3 hours/week on this job, you're been ripped off.

You do poster design and photography... That's creative and what you do might be unique, i.e., no one else can do it quite as good as you can? I'd probably start at €30 an hour and get my phone bill paid as well. Or maybe call yourself a 'brand ambassador' for the pub and get €300/week for all your promoting on FB etc...

I didn't put too much detail into the last paragraph but hopefully you get the idea that your brain/creative talents are worth more than minimum wage...

If your current boss won't pay you what you're worth, maybe stick with it for another few weeks and then go to a new bar/nightclub with facts/figures on how much 'you' improved the last bar and ask for a new job?

I'm going to start advertising what I can to other bars and places and see what kind of response I get! Unfortunately I doubt some places want to bother spending extra on this kind of work but maybe I'll get lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

OP if they have a Facebook campaign , posters, pics of the night and other advertising I assume they are not your average back street bar.

They are taking in well over €1,000 per night, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Dubwat wrote: »

But she is not an employee in this case so the minimum wage does not apply. If the deal the owner is offering of 10% is true (i do not believe for a minute it is, it sounds unrealistically high ) then this could pay 4 figures on a successful night.

I would ask to see his books to see if the cut-off figure is viable and if he has been stiffing you.
    If you think your work can make him and you money then the deal sounds okish maybe a higher per night rate at the expense of swapping some of you %.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

But she is not an employee in this case so the minimum wage does not apply. If the deal the owner is offering of 10% is true (i do not believe for a minute it is, it sounds unrealistically high ) then this could pay 4 figures on a successful night.

I would ask to see his books to see if the cut-off figure is viable and if he has been stiffing you.
    If you think your work can make him and you money then the deal sounds okish maybe a higher per night rate at the expense of swapping some of you %.

I didn't mean to suggest she was 'just' an employee but it gives her a benchmark of what the absolute legal minimum is. She is doing a lot more than 'just turning up', hence my suggestion of asking for a lot more money.

Advertisement