Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Spectrometry Exam Questions?

Options
  • 11-02-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not there are any past questions on Mass Spectrometry? I've looked through some papers and checked StudyClix for past questions but couldn't seem to find any! Does anyone have any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not there are any past questions on Mass Spectrometry? I've looked through some papers and checked StudyClix for past questions but couldn't seem to find any! Does anyone have any ideas? :)

There's not many, our chem teacher is amazing and has given us all relevant exam questions since the 80's and there's not many there! The ones they are in are fairly straight forward like the principle of the mass spec or the processes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

There's not many, our chem teacher is amazing and has given us all relevant exam questions since the 80's and there's not many there! The ones they are in are fairly straight forward like the principle of the mass spec or the processes :)

The 80s? :o We don't even look at the 2001 paper as the syllabus was changed somewhat.

The mass spectrometry questions I recall are: What are the processes of it, and what's the principle on which it is based.

The 80s? :o We don't even look at the 2001 paper as the syllabus was changed somewhat.

The mass spectrometry questions I recall are: What are the processes of it, and what's the principle on which it is based.

Yup, our teacher just gives us the exam questions that came up on each topic with that particular topic no matter how old some of them are so there might only be a part a or a part b of a question here and there :) While the new course came in in 2002 and things have changed , some things on the syllabus are the exact same so she just takes away the parts not relevant to us :) sounds mad but it's actually good because they've actually started repeating questions from that far back, whether intentional or unintentional :pac:

Yup, our teacher just gives us the exam questions that came up on each topic with that particular topic no matter how old some of them are so there might only be a part a or a part b of a question here and there :) While the new course came in in 2002 and things have changed , some things on the syllabus are the exact same so she just takes away the parts not relevant to us :) sounds mad but it's actually good because they've actually started repeating questions from that far back, whether intentional or unintentional :pac:

No I think that's a great idea! People think I'm nuts for looking at the 2001 paper :p

EDIT: Is there anywhere one could acquire old papers? Googling has gotten me nowhere, examinations.ie only has to 1996 and is missing 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

What do you guys write as the principle on which the mass spectrometer is based? I know what it does but don't really get what they want for that.

• Advertisement

I don't actually know where you'd get the old papers! I'd send some of them on to you only I have no scanner :/ sorry :(

Priciple of mass spectrometer: ionisation of the substance takes place and it moves in a magnetic field where it experiences a force and is deflected according to its mass

I don't actually know where you'd get the old papers! I'd send some of them on to you only I have no scanner :/ sorry :(

Ah well that you'd even consider doing so is very good of you, don't fret. :) It's the experiments I need to look over at this stage, not papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Relative Atomic Mass Calculations:
    2009 Q10 (c)
    2006 Q10 (a)

Processes which occur in a Mass Spectrometer:
    2002 Q7 (c)

Applications of a Mass Spectrometer:
    2002 Q7 (a)

Principle on which a MS is based:
    2009 Q10 (c)
    2006 Q10 (a)
    2003 Q4 (d)
    2002 Q7 (b)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Well all I'm learning is the stages

Vaporisation, Ionisation... etc.

The principle: that charged particles etc...

What it's used for... detecting the presence of an isotope, getting the relative atomic mass of an isotope etc..

And just know how to do the calculatious but they're grand :)

Advertisement