Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lacquer Removal

Options
  • 11-02-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Just wondering if ye could give me a bit of guidance! I have a steel golf club that I got a design spray painted on, however the guy who did the spray painting has lacquered the whole item, so the bits of bare steel have lacquer on them also, which I didn't want. Rather than having to send it back to him and wait a few days, I was wondering if anyone knows a quick fix to remove the lacquer off the bare steel without affecting the paint job?
    I was thinking of trying to tape off the painted parts with masking tape or similar and using white spirits or nail varnish remover with a cotton bud or something but I dont really know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

Go in to a car paint shop or a hobby paint shop (not Halfords or a house paint shop) and tell them your problem. They should have something suitable.

The exact solution will depend on the type of lacquer and the substrate, but if you can bring it with you that should give them enough information to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 genie_mac

dhog4n wrote: »
    Go in to a car paint shop or a hobby paint shop (not Halfords or a house paint shop) and tell them your problem. They should have something suitable.

The exact solution will depend on the type of lacquer and the substrate, but if you can bring it with you that should give them enough information to help out.

Great will do that tomorrow. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭amandstu

Do you not think it will be difficult to take off the lacquer without spoiling the paintwork?

Maybe you might have to be careful not to get the acetone (I think that is what might work- you will find it as an ingredient in some nail polish remover) in contact with the paint itself and so you would need to remove the lacquer that was in immediate vicinity to the actual paintwork mechanically and then apply the acetone (or whatever is best suited) to the rest of the club.

And also is the lacquer likely to peel or get dirty at the edges if it is disturbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 genie_mac

I was worried about that also, I ended up not touching it in the end, the lacquer will probably wear away after a bit of time anyway. I ended up selling the club in the end so it wont bother me in the end!! :D Thanks for your help guys

Advertisement