Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Scan in CUMH Public

Options
  • 11-02-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey all,

I have my 20 weeks appointment tomorrow and me and my OH have decided that we want to find out the gender. From reading some threads on CUMH, i am a little bit saddened that people do not get 20 weeks scans sometimes.

my question is, for people who wanted to find out the gender, did ye have to go elsewhere to find out or did they perform the scan in cumh?

Thanks Guys!
    :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They only do scans if it's indicated that you need it. Gender scans wouldn't come under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JessayW91

Thank You!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If you go private you get scans every time you visit I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We got a little scan at 20 weeks... and they told us the wrong gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does everyone not get offered an anomaly scan as standard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Millem wrote: »
    Does everyone not get offered an anomaly scan as standard?

No. Not public anyway.

pwurple wrote: »
    No. Not public anyway.

Gosh I thought everyone would get one! I was really spoiled in holles street!
    I had loads of scans! (I was not high risk either!) I used to love seeing the baby on the monitor and seeing how much he had grown at big scans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yeah, it's a shame. You really have to work the system here to get the best out of it i've found. I got great scans in CUMH when I signed up for UCC studies about diet in pregnancy, the SCOPE study, baseline study etc. it's a lot of forms and surveys to fill out, but feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yeah I don't get a 20 week scan in my care in Cavan/Monaghan. Have to book my own private gender scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get a 20 week scan in my care in Cavan/Monaghan. Have to book my own private gender scan!

My hubby was trying to tell me that he & his ex didn't get a 20 week anomaly scan as part of public care in Rotunda back in the day and I didn't believe him! How many scans will you get in total in your care Shasha? (I mean public ones)

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    My hubby was trying to tell me that he & his ex didn't get a 20 week anomaly scan as part of public care in Rotunda back in the day and I didn't believe him! How many scans will you get in total in your care Shasha? (I mean public ones)

How old is your hubby's child now? I know 5 years ago (well nearly 6 because my daughter is 5 since December), anomaly scans were standard in the Rotunda.

January wrote: »
    How old is your hubby's child now? I know 5 years ago (well nearly 6 because my daughter is 5 since December), anomaly scans were standard in the Rotunda.

Really? In his case it would have been 1.75yrs earlier than that so maybe they weren't then. How many scans did you get in the Rotunda in total with your dd then?
    He said becasue they weren't going to be getting a gender scan they went and paid for a private one. I asked him did they not ask for the gender they were told to be verified at subsequent scans in the Rotunda then? and he said no, either there were no subsequent scans or else maybe they didn't ask coz they assumed the gender they were told at the private scan to be accurate. Men are not great at remembering the details (!) but I thought it was odd that there wouldn't be a scan at that stage or after that stage.

I paid for a private scan at 12 weeks for reassurance as there was no dating scan, got my anomaly at 19 weeks, a scan at 32 weeks to check for facial abnormalities (cleft palette in the family) and one at 38 weeks as they thought that she was measuring small for her dates. I wouldn't have gotten the other two scans if all was well. So one would have been standard and we did ask gender at this scan and the not very polite lady told us that she wasn't there to tell us the gender just that everything was ok with the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

So one would have been standard and we did ask gender at this scan and the not very polite lady told us that she wasn't there to tell us the gender just that everything was ok with the baby.

Jesus that's mean. It would only take her all of five seconds.

We got a scan at 39 weeks for a research study. All they cared about was the baby's head circumference and weight. But the doctor doing it took the time to re-check all internal organs (even though I'd already had several scans) and gave us great reassurance about it, as they hadn't gotten a great look at his heart at the 20 week scan, and there's a heart condition in the family. She also even (totally unexpectedly) got some absolutely fantastic 3D pics of him - it was amazing. It finally made it real for me, that there was an actual little person with a face inside of me.

If they've a policy of not telling the gender, fine ... but saying she's not there to do that? God you're all set up in the room with the scanning machine there and she refuses to tell you the sex of your own baby? That's just really petty and mean. :(

Jesus that's mean. It would only take her all of five seconds.

We got a scan at 39 weeks for a research study. All they cared about was the baby's head circumference and weight. But the doctor doing it took the time to re-check all internal organs (even though I'd already had several scans) and gave us great reassurance about it, as they hadn't gotten a great look at his heart at the 20 week scan, and there's a heart condition in the family. She also even (totally unexpectedly) got some absolutely fantastic 3D pics of him - it was amazing. It finally made it real for me, that there was an actual little person with a face inside of me.

If they've a policy of not telling the gender, fine ... but saying she's not there to do that? God you're all set up in the room with the scanning machine there and she refuses to tell you the sex of your own baby? That's just really petty and mean. :(

I was pretty upset about it at the time but sure what can you do. I think finding out the gender was only really catching on five years ago so I can understand her thinking, every person walking in was probably asking and it was taking up more of her time.

When I asked on number 2 in the Coombe, she had a look but couldn't be sure, and this time in both the Coombe and the Rotunda they both had no problem telling me the gender so I think it's become a normal part of the 'big' scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was pretty upset about it at the time but sure what can you do. I think finding out the gender was only really catching on five years ago so I can understand her thinking, every person walking in was probably asking and it was taking up more of her time.

When I asked on number 2 in the Coombe, she had a look but couldn't be sure, and this time in both the Coombe and the Rotunda they both had no problem telling me the gender so I think it's become a normal part of the 'big' scan.

When I got the "big" 20 week scan, the first thing she asked was if I wanted to know the gender.

The funny thing is, that was all I was thinking of for the weeks coming up to it - but, when the time came, all I cared about was that he was OK. :o Of course I said yes, we want to know, but when the time came it didn't even matter!

So one would have been standard

Oh wow so hubby +his ex might have only been given 1 scan so, jeez I never thought it could have been so few! Explains alot, thx

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

2 years ago public in the Rotunda I had a dating scan at 12 weeks, an anomaly scan at 21 weeks, baby wasn't playing ball so it was repeated at 25 weeks. I then had an additional scan at 37 weeks due to fluid level. Afaik the "new" ultrasound dept. opened in 2005, I thought everyone got the 20 week scan once that dept. opened.

Ginny wrote: »
    2 years ago public in the Rotunda I had a dating scan at 12 weeks, an anomaly scan at 21 weeks, baby wasn't playing ball so it was repeated at 25 weeks. I then had an additional scan at 37 weeks due to fluid level. Afaik the "new" ultrasound dept. opened in 2005, I thought everyone got the 20 week scan once that dept. opened.

I reckon you could be right as I know someone who has a 12 year old who never got an anomaly scan in rotunda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lucuma wrote: »

Only two scans and they're both "dating" scans. One at 12 weeks (when I was almost 14 weeks) and another at 32 weeks to re-evaluate my due date. No other scans offered!

• Advertisement

Only two scans and they're both "dating" scans. One at 12 weeks (when I was almost 14 weeks) and another at 32 weeks to re-evaluate my due date. No other scans offered!

I reckon they'll check for placental location at your 32 week scan too.

At least you'll have a chance to get them to re-affirm the gender at the 32 week scan then. Obviously the most important thing being that there is no anomalies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I got another scan at 32 weeks where the consultant laughed at the original suggestion that it was a girl, checked placenta and that everything was looking good as well as measuring the little man!

Advertisement