Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 1.6 or 1.8 Diesel

Options
  • 11-02-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I have been reading a few threads about the focus and I have a few questions. I am going to go for either the 1.6 TDCI or the 1.8 TDCI 2008 / 2009 model with 75k mls - 100k mls. From what I have read the 1.6 seems to be a finely tuned engine that is still relatively new whereas the 1.8 seems to be based off older more proven technology. Correct me if i'm wrong..I'm still trying to learn here.

So if I am going for the 1.6 i'm defo gonna need a full service history because if it isnt serviced exactly on time and with the exact oil the turbo gets knackered..okay got that. Also the filter in the exhaust seems to show problems for people who do short journeys which would be me. I also might tow a trailer with a motorbike from time to time so i'm thinking I may need the extra torque offered by the 1.8.

Flywheels seem to be another talking point around 80 - 100k mls.

So really what i'm asking is am I mad to be looking at these cars at this mileage, is this when everyone flogs them on before the flywheel and turbo kick the bucket? Im just out of college and started a new job and this will be my first good car. Looking for some help so as I don't end up getting married to a yoke! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'd probably buy neither tbh but that's just my opinion. You are right in thinking you need a full service history if looking at the 1.6tdci. I would imagine the 1.6 tdci is more than capable of towing a motorcycle around. The 1.6 tdci is probably a bit nicer to drive in the fact it has a wider torque band than the 1.8 tdci which is an ancient engine whereas the 1.6 is more modern. The 1.8 tdci eats flywheels id be surprised if you'd even get 80k miles out of one. The 1.6 tdci is a perticularly oily engine there always seems to be oil somewhere on the engine no matter how many you look at. They are known to give turbo trouble how much they give in realty I don't know. Egr valves tend to go on them from whet my mechanic tells me.

So ultimately they will both cost you money in maintenance just in different ways. If buying a 1.6tdci I'd drop the service interval to 15k km or even better 10k km the recommended 20k km on them is way to long specially when they get on mileage wise. Also bear in mind the 1.6tdci 90bhp has no dpf the 110bhp does. So depending on your mileage a 90 bhp may be a more reliable car but will sacrifice a bit of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Both engines have a history of having issues. I'd choose a Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed instead to be honest if it were my money.

Advertisement