Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent contract!

Options
  • 11-02-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I have an estate agent selling my property for 4 years, in all that time I've been dropping the price looking a quick sale but now my circumstances have changed and I'm looking to put the house sale on hold unroll I see the outcome of these new building control amendments coming into force next month for anyone wanting to build a self build

In all the time the EA had the house for sale, there was no contract but now that I've informed him that I'm putting the sale in hold and maybe not even selling it. Called into him yesterday and he has a lovely wee contract for me to sign.

I'm wanting to know do I legally have to sign this. I'm happy enough with the % he looking if he gets the sale but there's a few parts I'm not to sure about

One says I've to pay all costs incurred from him when selling the house. Would this mean I would have to pay for every call out he's done when viewing the house.

Another is that he says he wants to be the sole agent, you see, I was thinking of giving it to another EA soon so both can try and sell it rather than just 1

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if your not happy dont sign

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dont sign anything now if you donw want to (I wouldnt sign anything now)

regardless hes entitled to his costs for selling the price even if you take it off the market.

P.S you havent been looking for a quick sale. If you were looking for a quick sale it would have sold. Facts speak for themselves a houe on the market for 4 years has been constantly overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So he wants the commission, to be the only one selling the place, and you to cover his costs?? Seems pretty cheeky to me.

I agree with godtabh above though.. I wouldn't sign it either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you are putting the sale on hold then why do you need an EA at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

D3PO wrote: »
    dont sign anything now if you donw want to (I wouldnt sign anything now)

regardless hes entitled to his costs for selling the price even if you take it off the market.

P.S you havent been looking for a quick sale. If you were looking for a quick sale it would have sold. Facts speak for themselves a houe on the market for 4 years has been constantly overpriced.

What costs. If I take it off the market I don't mind giving him advertising costs but not all the call outs

As for it being overpriced, I understand what your saying but trust me, it ain't.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    If you are putting the sale on hold then why do you need an EA at all?

I was thinking still keep it advertised rather than having to pay new advertising costs in 6 months to a year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

newbie2013 wrote: »
    What costs. If I take it off the market I don't mind giving him advertising costs but not all the call outs

As for it being overpriced, I understand what your saying but trust me, it ain't.

there is no call out charge unless you have signed saying you will pay one. Costs are for advertising, myhome, daft, newspaper, brochures etc

no EA charges for a call out.

re not being overpriced it may not be right now but if you havent sold in 4 years turst me it is/was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

All sales should have a contract agreement signed.

The PSRA have templates on their website.

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publications-letters-en

D3PO wrote: »
    there is no call out charge unless you have signed saying you will pay one. Costs are for advertising, myhome, daft, newspaper, brochures etc

no EA charges for a call out.

re not being overpriced it may not be right now but if you havent sold in 4 years turst me it is/was

It was overpriced in terms of what a house should be worth IMO but it was set at market value at the time. It's always been 50k less than same houses in a 5mile radious since late 2010. Anyway, that's not what the thread is about

As for paying for advertising, I have no problem with that it's just reading this contract I thought I'd have been charged for the call outs. Now that you've cleared this up, cheers

I know this might sound silly now but maybe in the next 10 years it might not. I was thinking of putting the price up to match the others in my area. The reason for this is, I'm not to keen to sell so cheap(IMO) while I have this uncertainty of these new amendments. IMO, when this property market picks up again (which it will because us Irish are thick and have installed greed into us) I can see rural house price rises because it will be difficult to build new homes, we'll not so difficult but there won't be as many New houses get built again because of this and the only option is to buy houses already built. All my own opinion that is thou but it's one I can sit on now that I'm not in no rush to sell

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    All sales should have a contract agreement signed.

The PSRA have templates on their website.

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publications-letters-en

What you mean all sales should have a contract. Do you mean everyone selling a house or when an actual sale is going through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

If you don't need to sell then you should do yourself a favour and take the property off the market. And don't sign that contract. These building regulation changes will have no impact on property prices.

Chasing the market down over 4 years would lead me to believe you have been badly advised by your agent. All of those price drops will be visible online for anyone to see and that doesn't look good.

If you still want to sell then get another agent in for a no-obligation chat about what they would do differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Everyone selling a house. Any EA worth their salt and abiding by the law should have a signed agreement with their client!

Contracts once sale agreed on the solicitors end are a different matter.

Advertisement