Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spark Plugs Single pin Vs 4

Options
  • 11-02-2014 10:43am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I ordered some Denso spark plugs for my 325ci and I was expecting a 4 pin plug, but get a single and I was wondering what kind of difference this will make.

I'm a bit peeved as I was hoping to get this done on the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think it makes a whole pile of difference single electrode vs 4 electrodes.
    Are they Platinum or Iridium plugs?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers, they're Iridium.

If its not going to make any noticeable difference then I'll fit them tbh. I'll compare them to the ones I take out on the weekend, and just fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the 4 electrode ones are aimed more at longer life with a cheap electrode, as they erode away different electrodes spark.
    With a single precious metal electrode the spark is probably better than being shadowed by 4 bulky electrodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think the 4 electrode ones are aimed more at longer life with a cheap electrode, as they erode away different electrodes spark.
    With a single precious metal electrode the spark is probably better than being shadowed by 4 bulky electrodes.

Aye. The Engineering Jury appear to be in two minds about this multi-electrode malarkey. First, as you say above about multiple electrodes shielding the spark from the fuel mix. Others maintain that with a spark arcing across the electrodes in a sort of web the ignition performance is improved. Personally I think there's a lot to be said for a good-quality single electrode iridium plug.

On a related note, there seems to be two slightly different variants of iridium plug emerging lately, particularly from manufacturers like Denso. There's the long-life type, which runs an electrode around .7mm diameter much like "traditional" plugs and provides excellent performance and very long service life. There's also the type that runs a .4mm diameter, usually marketed as "Ultra High-Performance" or similar. These are supposed to give a strong, highly-focused spark without needing huge voltage, but wear out after about the same time as the likes of platinum plugs, and such.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mine is the 0.4mm, not terribly worried about the life of them to be honest. I just want to change them since the ones in there are most likely years old and I think i can notice it at idle. Curious to see how the spark plug replacement will change things.

• Advertisement

Well guys, I changed the plugs today, easy job, no surprises and the car is back and running smoother than ever. The old plugs looked like they were past their best. I don't know if it's me just imagining things but the car feels more responsive in the mid to high rev range. Most noticeably from maybe 4,500 to the red line. There's a definite kick there that wasn't as pronounced before!

So cheers for the advice and opinions lads. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, a bit of new life in the car :)
    Out of interest how old were the plugs before?

biko wrote: »
    Sound, a bit of new life in the car :)
    Out of interest how old were the plugs before?

I've no idea! Well I've had the car almost 2 years, and there's no mention of plugs in any of the documentation I have with the car. So they could be any age tbh. Complete unknown. The old ones weren't BMW OEM plugs. Just did it to see what difference it would make.

Advertisement