Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Double

Options
  • 11-02-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Richard Ayoade's latest, an adaptation of the Dostoyevsky short story about a man who is driven insane by the appearance of his doppleganger.
    It's out on April 4th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I can't wait to see this at JDIFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Full Trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Out today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

miralize wrote: »
    Out today!

Sadly a lack of promotion for this weird as Jesse Eisenberg and Mia Wasikowska are big enough names to bring in the crowd. plus you got the godlike genius of Chris morris in it. I don't see this been in the cinema too long so need to get to see it soon. Loved Submarine, but this looks a darker film that's for sure. The trailer was pretty good and the reviews have been good so will catch this over the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I much preferred it to Submarine - it's a more unique and ambitious film, and feels more tonally confident. I enjoyed it a while lot, doubly (ho!) so because I watched it right before the underwhelming The Zero Theorem. It's a strange and funny film, and it conjures up a really offbeat dystopia - the right mix between cartoonish excess and subtle believability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Can't wait, recently re-watched "Submarine", love that film.

And Chris fcuking Morris!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Ah FFS, no showings in Cork at all.

In fact going by entertainment.ie* it's not being shown outside of four Dublin cinemas:
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/display.asp?UserLocation=10&film_title=The-Double&vid=&submit=Search

I didn't check every county just the most populous six or so, maybe a local film club not affiliated with the site might show it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You shouldn't get too excited about Chris Morris' presence (although obviously his mere presence is cause for some excitement :pac:) - there isn't much more to his appearance than you get in the trailer. Still, it's one of quite a few fun cameos dotted throughout the film.

Gamayun wrote: »

In fact going by entertainment.ie* it's not being shown outside of four Dublin cinemas:
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/display.asp?UserLocation=10&film_title=The-Double&vid=&submit=Search

I didn't check every county just the most populous six or so, maybe a local film club not affiliated with the site might show it.

That sucks but i'm not surprised, I think they are seen how it performs in Dublin first and if it does well then I see it getting a wider release in Ireland. It's a film I don't see many but the real film lovers going to see it, it's a little to quirky and dark for someone wanting a slam bang popcorn movie but sure the Grand Budapest Hotel is doing big business so you never know.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will most likely show up in the Triskel at some point.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't get too excited about Chris Morris' presence (although obviously his mere presence is cause for some excitement :pac:) - there isn't much more to his appearance than you get in the trailer. Still, it's one of quite a few fun cameos dotted throughout the film.

I wonder when we will get a follow up to Four Lions, which was one of the best comedies of the last few years. A Morris Cameo is worth watching a film for that fact alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Looper007 wrote: »
    That sucks but i'm not surprised, I think they are seen how it performs in Dublin first and if it does well then I see it getting a wider release in Ireland. It's a film I don't see many but the real film lovers going to see it, it's a little to quirky and dark for someone wanting a slam bang popcorn movie but sure the Grand Budapest Hotel is doing big business so you never know.

I hope it does well there so. Having Jesse Eisenberg on the posters might attract some casual cinemagoers.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will most likely show up in the Triskel at some point.

Hopefully, I'm not much of a fan of the straight-backed pews though. 93min wouldn't be too bad to suffer them however.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hopefully, I'm not much of a fan of the straight-backed pews though. 93min wouldn't be too bad to suffer them however.

Yeah, that was why I passed on Blue is the Warmest Colour when I saw the running time. Those seats are not suitable for long films!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I wonder when we will get a follow up to Four Lions, which was one of the best comedies of the last few years. A Morris Cameo is worth watching a film for that fact alone.

He's directing episodes of "Veep" at the moment. Always think it's a waste when he's not doing stuff of his own making. A talented director though, "Nathan Barley" for all it's faults was very stylishly made.

Edit: He didn't actually direct "Nathan Barley" but "My Wrongs..." is great.

Paddy Considine's Cameo alone is worth the price of the film, I so want to see that TV show :pac:.

I got to say The Double is the surprise of 2014 so far, didn't think it was going to be as good or as downbeat as the Trailer had you believe. First of Jesse Eisenberg gives his best performance to date, his weak willed shy worker and cocky and violent doppleganger are both very well played. He handled the comedy and the darkness of the last third very well. Mia Wasikowska is great too, but am I only one who really disliked her character a lot. Great to see Noah Taylor and Sally Hawkins in small cameos.

The thing that shocked me was how dark and downbeat it got once it got to the third act
    Mia Wasikowska attempted suicide and miscarriage, The doppleganger just turning into a right nasty bastard and the ending which is very Fight Club but suited the film perfectly
    but a few comedic moments stood out
    The breakdown scene when Eisenberg robs the hand of the guard and swings it around a great touch of dark comedy, William Shaw scenes, The two cops who were part of the suicide squad, the mother scenes in the retirement home and Funeral scene

I saw it in the smallest screen in Cineworld and it was a good turn out for the screening. I seriously doubt it last long in the cinema as the film won't connect with a big commercial audience as it's pretty out there and downbeat. I saw the Mark Kermode review when many said it had a touch of Terry Gilliam's Brazil, I would agree but also Wes Anderson in it's style and choice of the quirky 60's Japanese pop. Not a film for everyone but I thought it was a step up from the wonderful Submarine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Meh/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Addressing the comparisons with Brazil, I think they're there, but only in the sense that both films have nightmarish, Bureaucracy-driven office settings with distinctly retro technology. Bureaupunk if you will. And while Brazil explores this dystopian template in its entirety and how an ordinary man can get sucked into a nightmarish world, it's really only on the periphery of The Double, acting as set dressing; taken as a whole, the latter is more like a paranoid fever dream, an external representation of the lonely neurosis of Jesse Eisenbergs character, than the kind of arch satire that was Terry Gilliams classic.

Not sure what I thought of The Double; it looked the part with some fantastically offbeat visuals, and had a really dark heart in its core, but I felt it quite hollow in places, and pretty emotionless. It didn't seem to go down with a lot of other viewers, as there were quite a few people who left midway through.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It didn't seem to go down with a lot of other viewers, as there were quite a few people who left midway through.

Really the audience I was with seemed to love it, I think the trailer does have it come across like it's a laugh a minute, which doesn't represent the film really well. It's a really dark film compared to what I was expecting but I loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Really the audience I was with seemed to love it, I think the trailer does have it come across like it's a laugh a minute, which doesn't represent the film really well. It's a really dark film compared to what I was expecting but I loved it.

Most stayed 'til the end to be fair, but quite a few - mostly couples for whatever reason - left over the course of the film. Honestly, the trailer tricked me too, and had expected a more humorous tale than the one I saw on-screen; or to put it another way, the tone felt a little uncertain and inconsistent in places. The witty silliness of things like the Paddy Considine TV show and Chris Morris' cameo seemed at odds with the psychological trauma the lead character was enduring.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Most stayed 'til the end to be fair, but quite a few - mostly couples for whatever reason - left over the course of the film. Honestly, the trailer tricked me too, and had expected a more humorous tale than the one I saw on-screen; or to put it another way, the tone felt a little uncertain and inconsistent in places. The witty silliness of things like the Paddy Considine TV show and Chris Morris' cameo seemed at odds with the psychological trauma the lead character was enduring.

Ah I think it's dark dark comedy like Brazil was, the tone shift didn't effect my enjoyment as it was heading that way from the 2nd act onwards. I loved the cameos j. mascis from Dinosaur Jr , Sally Hawkins too. As I said I loved it as I wasn't expecting it to be as good as that. But I can see why many probably walked out as they were expecting a laugh a minute comedy, it was smart of cineworld to put it on one of their smallest screens too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I went in with no expectation, I just knew who directed it. I thought it was good in parts, but I was bored for large parts of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I really enjoyed it. Practically empty, except for two others, screening.

Thought the soundtrack was fantastic. It really added to the mood.

Utterly depressing world created.

Some very funny parts too.

I loved Submarine also, I look forward to more of Richard's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I thought it was brilliant - so ambitious! Fantastic world creation with a real nailng of little details (one Eisenberg is made out to be physically bigger than the other in certain scenes). I personally found it hilarious throughout too - it is dark quirky comedy but comedy nonetheless.

Worth noting though that my mate didn't enjoy it at all and while a few others and I in the Cineworld screen laughed consistently throughout, a lot of the cinema didn't seem to share some of the humour.

I'll be seeing this one again I think, there's a lot to drink in on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

i found it really depressing and fairly boring/predictable. meh

Advertisement