Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely overwhelmed by lc mocks

Options
  • 11-02-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm in the middle of my mocks at the moment i know there not the end all but to be honest I'm feeling the pressure a lot. I had such good intentions to study and yet I keep finding myself putting it off and off and it's like I can't stop. Its gotten to the point where its like I can't pick myself up from it and at times I just feel as if I'm drowning under all the information I need to know. Frankly I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed by it all and I don't know how to or where to begin, it's as if I never learned how to learn and lately its like I can't retain any information even when I do study. I'm just lost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

That's 100% percent how I feel at the moment, I can completely empathise! It's such a scary prospect, Entering an exam hall and knowing the doom is imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 4 megaanmaxwell

I'm in the middle of my mocks at the moment i know there not the end all but to be honest I'm feeling the pressure a lot. I had such good intentions to study and yet I keep finding myself putting it off and off and it's like I can't stop. Its gotten to the point where its like I can't pick myself up from it and at times I just feel as if I'm drowning under all the information I need to know. Frankly I'm just feeling completely overwhelmed by it all and I don't know how to or where to begin, it's as if I never learned how to learn and lately its like I can't retain any information even when I do study. I'm just lost.

This is exactly how I feel! I'm kinda accepting the fact I'm not gonna do as well anymore.. I think we'll be fine though once we go at our own pace! The mocks are actually really daunting but once they're over that's it!
    Try not to think about how stressful it is and just think of what happens when the LC is over! :) staying positive is absolutely key at this stage, studying is really hard, you're not alone there but just finding a suitable and comfortable pace for you is all you have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sherlockedxx

xLisaBx wrote: »
    That's 100% percent how I feel at the moment, I can completely empathise! It's such a scary prospect, Entering an exam hall and knowing the doom is imminent

Oh my god yes, I feel like gandalf is standing over my shoulder going you shall not pass! I desperately wish our school system operated under continuous assessment instead of these big exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

You mustn't let these things overwhelm you so much, to a point where it affects you emotionally. The leaving cert is not the end of the world, I promise. Of course, do your best, but don't become bogged down by the immediacy and anxiety. Search for some study guides and try some relaxation or meditation techniques. Clearing your head before you sit down at your desk is probably the most useful tool to master.

Create a study plan for each day with set goals and objectives. Sit down with a clear head and write these action items down before you start. Having that action plan that you know you need to complete before moving on is a great motivator, and just having things written down like that can be a tremendous help. Be sure to give yourselves ample breaktime and make time for things that make you happy throughout the week also. Keeping yourself mentally and physically fit is important - eat properly, exercise, and be happy.

I did okay in the leaving cert - mildly okay. I barely studied and was rarely in school very often. I don't condone that behavior, and in fact it's one of the things I really regret. Just do what you can and understand that life really only begins once you leave school. You can be anything you want if you really strive for it, you don't need As and Bs to prove that.

I hate seeing people get so affected by the pressure these things bring on.

I'd love to see any other advice folks have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Not being smart but try getting off boards and doing some study.

I find making a timetable is handy. Mark out what you feel is vital to know and fill them in individual time slots, it's the only way at this stage since you feel so overwhelmed by he workload.

Try not to worry either, they are only the mocks an hopefully by the real exam you will have learned your lesson.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    You mustn't let these things overwhelm you so much, to a point where it affects you emotionally. The leaving cert is not the end of the world, I promise. Of course, do your best, but don't become bogged down by the immediacy and anxiety. Search for some study guides and try some relaxation or meditation techniques. Clearing your head before you sit down at your desk is probably the most useful tool to master.

Create a study plan for each day with set goals and objectives. Sit down with a clear head and write these action items down before you start. Having that action plan that you know you need to complete before moving on is a great motivator, and just having things written down like that can be a tremendous help. Be sure to give yourselves ample breaktime and make time for things that make you happy throughout the week also. Keeping yourself mentally and physically fit is important - eat properly, exercise, and be happy.

I did okay in the leaving cert - mildly okay. I barely studied and was rarely in school very often. I don't condone that behavior, and in fact it's one of the things I really regret. Just do what you can and understand that life really only begins once you leave school. You can be anything you want if you really strive for it, you don't need As and Bs to prove that.

I hate seeing people get so affected by the pressure these things bring on.

I'd love to see any other advice folks have here.

Thank you, at this point I'm not aiming wildly high I simply want the sufficient points for my course. There within my capabilities I think, it's just getting that kick start to get me going. I'll definately try some of your tips :-)

You're welcome :)

A lot of colleges have good resources (obviously aimed at college exams though). A quick search brought up a few ebooks with some tips on avoiding stress and organising yourself. I'd say try to find a couple of these and tomorrow, start fresh with a clear head and a plan of action! You'll reach your goals if you really want them :)

Google search

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

To be honest it's a good thing that you're freaking out and worried, it shows that you care and you want to do well. I feel like the mocks are designed to give you a kick up the bum and make you think okay, they weren't all that easy after all, time to get serious.

No matter how much you study you're never going to know everything, so just learn whatever you can at this stage. Don't listen to others and don't do post-mortems on the papers!

I don't even remember doing my mocks, I think I only turned up for half. I failed maths in the leaving, (big kick up the bum) repeated and got the course I wanted.

You will do fine. At least you care and that's a very positive thing so I've no doubt you'll do great! All the best

anna080 wrote: »
    To be honest it's a good thing that you're freaking out and worried, it shows that you care and you want to do well.

certainly agree with this, to the extent where you're not freaking out so much that it's causing you to slide into a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ok this may seem crazy but you still have time so you can do this. A lot of people go for an 'All-or-Nothing' approach when it comes to study. In other words you say to yourself 'tonight I'm going to do 4 hours study' and then can't motivate themselves. Start off by studying one thing for 10 minutes. Even if it's just a few definitions or a paragraph of an essay. Just study for 10 minutes, get up and walk away. Do this for a couple of days and the motivation will come easily. Then try 20 minutes and two things and half an hour and 3 things. You will be able to keep building up and soon you will find yourself just wanting to do more. Just for that 10 minutes put away the phone, get off the internet and just focus completely. Within a couple of weeks you will be able to build up to a few hours a night and if you relapse just start building up again this way.

When you get your mocks back look at all the area's where you went wrong and try and improve these first.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Ok this may seem crazy but you still have time so you can do this. A lot of people go for an 'All-or-Nothing' approach when it comes to study. In other words you say to yourself 'tonight I'm going to do 4 hours study' and then can't motivate themselves. Start off by studying one thing for 10 minutes. Even if it's just a few definitions or a paragraph of an essay. Just study for 10 minutes, get up and walk away. Do this for a couple of days and the motivation will come easily. Then try 20 minutes and two things and half an hour and 3 things. You will be able to keep building up and soon you will find yourself just wanting to do more. Just for that 10 minutes put away the phone, get off the internet and just focus completely. Within a couple of weeks you will be able to build up to a few hours a night and if you relapse just start building up again this way.

When you get your mocks back look at all the area's where you went wrong and try and improve these first.

Thank you! That was exactly what I was doing and then I'd be so disappointed with myself because I hadn't done my so many hours study :-) I will try this might be what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee_e95

this is exactly how i feel like, ive most of my pres over with at this stage just biology and art history left monday and tuesday, but ive great intentions to study but when i go to study,i always find a way not to. like i wana do well but cant concentrate on study :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dee_e95 wrote: »
    this is exactly how i feel like, ive most of my pres over with at this stage just biology and art history left monday and tuesday, but ive great intentions to study but when i go to study,i always find a way not to. like i wana do well but cant concentrate on study :(

Study in short manageable chunks.
    Don't go in thinking 'oh I'll do four hours study'. It is not possible to concentrate for that length of time. Go in and say 'I will do formation of a waterfall and the structure of the ear (for example)', do them, take a ten minute break, then go back and say 'I will do the theme of x in Joe Bloggs' poetry' or 'question 2b from the 2011 paper', then take another break.
    Going in sitting looking at a pile of books or big list of things to do is a guarantee that it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dee_e95

spurious wrote: »
    Study in short manageable chunks.
    Don't go in thinking 'oh I'll do four hours study'. It is not possible to concentrate for that length of time. Go in and say 'I will do formation of a waterfall and the structure of the ear (for example)', do them, take a ten minute break, then go back and say 'I will do the theme of x in Joe Bloggs' poetry' or 'question 2b from the 2011 paper', then take another break.
    Going in sitting looking at a pile of books or big list of things to do is a guarantee that it won't work.

Advertisement