Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 Essay Disaster

Options
  • 10-02-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So I had my English paper 1 mock today which went really horribly. For the essay I chose to do a short story where the
    central character commits a courageous act
    and all was going well until I ran out of time. What's worse is that I didn't actually get to the
    'courageous act' part
    yet which doesn't make my short story relevant AT ALL. So my question is: since it's not relevant to the essay title/question am I going to get absolutely no marks for it?

Mod Edit - Mock essay title may be discussed throughout the thread so keep out if you don't want to see the essay title. Keep the thread on topic, DO NOT ask for any further mock spoilers, keep that to the main thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You will get some marks but not a high mark. Don't worry, put it down to experience and focus on the next paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Look it - it's only the mocks. I'm sure that if you have asked everyone who has done them so far this year that for most people something has gone wrong for them or they would have liked something to have gone better. You wrote a short story of some description and a courageous act doesn't have to be anything extraordinary at all - it could be putting some jam on bread, walking across the road etc.

Don't let this take you down OP. Remember that the marking scheme is PCLM and that although you may have not scored that high in the purpose, you'll be fine with the other sections.

If I was an examiner (which I'm not by the way!) I would award you a good grade because you went into the exam hall and wrote an essay. You didn't get spoon fed or go into the exam with some pre-learned essay.

Keep up the good work and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Be glad this happened in the mocks and not the real thing. Make all the mistakes now. Maybe u were not prepared enough and didn't manage your time right. Now focus on how to improve this. You'll probs lose purpose marks but just continue on in your exams for now, try your best and try forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Here's a tip: write a basic plan of your essay before you begin (intro, main body, conclusion, very basic character sketch etc). It will not only focus your essay, but will also be taken into account by the examiner in the event that you don't finish on time. Also use what you learnt today to inform your study/practice for the exam: that's the main purpose of the mocks at the end of the day, to highlight your strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 viperockz

i was soo smart i did 100 marks essay straight after i fisished my question B and left Question A for last which is 15,15 and 20 i think..
    i got 50 mark question fully finished..and half way through the last one but didn't fully finish..i will say i will loose about 10 marks for part c

i would like to dedicate this for myself
    981-smart.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

viperockz wrote: »
    i was soo smart i did 100 marks essay straight after i fisished my single test and left my comparitive for last which is 50,25 and 25 i think..
    i got 50 and 25 mark question fully finished..and half way through the last one but didn't fully finish..i will say i will loose about 10 marks for the 25 mark question

Haha don't beat yourself up, this is what the mocks are for! Have you worked out a time strategy for the entire paper including reading time, that's very important. Gives you a bit of leeway for finishing questions if that situation comes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

viperockz wrote: »
    i was soo smart i did 100 marks essay straight after i fisished my single test and left my comparitive for last which is 50,25 and 25 i think..
    i got 50 and 25 mark question fully finished..and half way through the last one but didn't fully finish..i will say i will loose about 10 marks for the 25 mark question

981-smart.jpg
    How did you manage that when comparative/single text are on paper II and essay is on paper I?

To the original poster: Try doing the essay after the A question if you find time an issue. The A question will "warm you up" and then you'll be ready to tackle the most valuable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

robman60 wrote: »
    How did you manage that when comparative/single text are on paper II and essay is on paper I?

To the original poster: Try doing the essay after the A question if you find time an issue. The A question will "warm you up" and then you'll be ready to tackle the most valuable question.

Make sure you choose your question B before your question A!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

it was a courageous act to admit you messed up

but its only the mocks

I am sure they don't read everyones story

• Registered Users Posts: 36 viperockz

robman60 wrote: »

oops my mistake(got mixed up with p1 and p2)..i mean question B and question A:o
    embarrassment234x346.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement