Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table saw Dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Zeppi wrote: »
    I'm in process of replacing my Ferm table saw (crap) with a new one and I'm not sure for which one I shall go. This is for DIY and not professional work.

Maybe you can help me pick one or maybe you have different one to suggest.

[URL=" http://www.clarkedistributors.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_264&product_id=828"]1. http://www.clarkedistributors.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_264&product_id=828[/URL]

http://www.iedepot.ie/portable-table-saw/

http://www.tripart.ie/product_info.php/cPath/30_47/products_id/2198?osCsid=on3et3tfovpvk7ne38r8s9cdj2

regards

Zeppi

I'm also looking for a table saw and have pretty much narrowed down to this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-ts-200-basic-table-saw

It's a little dearer that some of your options but has an induction motor and cast iron table. Will build a cabinet to house it. Some of those you linked to have very poor fences and are not so accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

I don't have the space for one yet, but I think I'll be going for one of the axminster hobby says. From all the reviews I've read, you will need to do a lot of fettling with it but will end up with a good saw.

You'll want an induction motor, otherwise the noise will drive you mad.

Have a look on this forum, loads of info there. It's a pity we don't have the same second hand market over here, as they get some lovely industrial machines for low money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Guys,
    every one of those saws has been churned out of a factory in China. Only one ( the Charnwood from Tripart ) has a belt drive and this is essential. With direct drive saws the bearings wear after a few years putting a slight wobble in the blade.
    And yes, an induction motor is a must. However for that budget I don't think you will do any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

recipio wrote: »
    Guys,
    every one of those saws has been churned out of a factory in China.

Everything comes out of China. Clarke, Draper, Sealey - all china.....

I know this. I work in the trade. I know what's going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Everything comes out of China. Clarke, Draper, Sealey - all china.....

I know this. I work in the trade. I know what's going on....

Festool doesn't :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Festool doesn't :)

Ya it comes from Germany!!

I know, that's why I said it, I have many of their power tools, fantastic quality.

Those are all contractors saws, meant to be hauled around in a van and set up on the job. If you want a cabinet makers saw save up for a Scheppach or a Hammer, or do as I did and import a lovely cast iron top saw from the US. I wanted a dado blade facility - its not illegal to own one - the EU states have just stopped making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Depending on your use (not sure if you already own one) but have you considered a track saw?

I use a lot of sheet goods but didn't have the space in my workshop for a panel saw or big table saw. So I invested in a track saw, built a table to cut the goods on and got a small portable table saw for when I need to rip down lengths of timber. For me it worked out cheaper than a full size saw and gives me the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Getting way ahead of myself and at risk of being called the infamous Festool Weekend Warrior but before I've even bought any tools or done any 'carpentry/ joinery' that didn't involve a hack saw...I've got notions in my head that one of my first projects will be purchasing a TS55 + CMS table with TS55 and router inserts and building a DIY Mobile MFT, CMS with incra fence combo.

I'm good with my hands, creative, prototyping designs in sketchup and rendering and have probably €50,000 worth of carpentry and Joinery related custom woodwork planned to finish off our house. Splashing out on the core Festool tools actually ends up still being a huge money saver when amortised over that much woodwork. I,ll be starting on the simple stuff and working my way up the difficulty scale

(Built in wardrobes in 4 bedrooms. Removing stud walls, building stud walls, alcove book shelves, end of bed TV Lift units, window seats, radiator cabinets, wainscoting, decking with IPE outdoor utility etc in business premises there's new display selves, window displays, storage, etc ultimately building to a quarter turn stairs to converted attic to replace spiral and re- treading and refinishing main stairs etc)

Tonnes of stuff to keep me busy for years.

Just need to model and render the plans first to get consensus from the family on how exactly they want their rooms/family areas etc first. There's only so much consensus one can get describing plans verbally, ie "sounds great/oh I didn't realise/I thought you meant". I've listened to them over the last few years, noted how they do/like things and am pretty certain the final plans won't be too different to what I have in mind.

Keeps me busy till some current loans are paid and I can afford to start acquiring the tools. The time will certainly be put to good use.

All hail youtube, houzz website/app and Sketchup/indigo renderer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

Ya it comes from Germany!!

Are 100% sure here.

It might say "designed in Germany" but I can guarantee China plays a part here...... 100% guarantee.

For fitting out wardrobes etc nothing beats having a mitre saw set up in the work area. After all, 90% of cuts are simple right angle crosscuts.
    I have a small Scheppach mitre saw with a table on top. If I want to rip 5mm off a piece it does the job. For sheet goods I can certainly see the Festool being ideal especially with dust extraction.

Are 100% sure here.

It might say "designed in Germany" but I can guarantee China plays a part here...... 100% guarantee.

More than 90% of our customers remain loyal to the brand Festool. They have made sure that Festool has kept a competitive edge over the years. They also trust the label ‚Made in Germany‘ and count on our tools to take on the highest of demands.

Copied from the festool website, they are made in Germany, that is what they are known for, and also why they are more expensive than other brands.

Advertisement