Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Apple and Pear Tree Query

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I bought an apple and a pear tree but i am wondering if i need afew more. basically do they need to be cross pollinated or will they produce fruit without any assistance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I think the labels suggest good pollinating partners for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

I was going to post the same question today. I am planning on buying one of the apple trees. Wasn't sure however if I needed 2 to produce fruit and if I do need 2 can the trees be from the same family/variety (I read briefly they shouldn't)?

Plus I would also like to grow the tree/s espalier style. Would anyone know if they are suitable to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I threw out the pear labels but the apple one says it should be a differn't variety

How close do they need to be to each other to pollinate? Or the other way...what is the furthest I can plant them apart?

And lastly, I have read that in order to successfully pollinate the apple trees should have the same blooming period. Which two of these varieties for sale would have the same dates or best chance of pollination please? Jonagold, Braeburn, Gala, Bramley and James Grieve

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

James Grieve don't need a pollinator partner and imho give the nicest apples of that lot quite unlike any of the shop bought fruit in the supermarkets which makes it very pleasing to have. I have a couple of them and they have been fruiting from the first year.

Conversely I have a Cox Pippen now in its third year that is yet to bare fruit (it should be able to cross pollinate with nearby James Grieve's but isn't) and is getting the chop this year if there is still nothing, have a small garden so non productive trees end up will in my stove!
    Conference pear is nice too and doesn't need a pollinator but yields will be greater if you have more than one, i'd highly recommend adding one if you have the space.

Regarding pollination, as long as they are within the same garden you'll be grand, don't worry about distance unless we are talking about acres of land, bee's and other pollinating insects can cover a fair area.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

[QUOTE=missmyler;88932100And lastly, I have read that in order to successfully pollinate the apple trees should have the same blooming period. Which two of these varieties for sale would have the same dates or best chance of pollination please? Jonagold, Braeburn, Gala, Bramley and James Grieve[/QUOTE]

http://www.rhs.org.uk/media/pdfs/advice/ApplePollinationGroups

Great thanks. This will be my first attempt at growing fruit trees so want to get them right. Im doing them espalier style as I live in an apartment block and plan to grow a couple up the walls. Im sure the neighbours will think I'm mental :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Aldi have the fruit tree back in next Thursday. €11.99 in a 7 litre pot

Are they good value or worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Update - My Cox Pippen has fruit this year, so it lives!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement