Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else having issues with podcasts and radio streaming on O2's data network

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I have been having some issues with online radios consistently cutting off even when I am not moving and in an area with good reception (and good speeds reported on speedtest.net).

What I have also noticed is that if I trie to listen to podcasts with the Apple official application on my iPhone, the podcasts simply don't load on O2's 3G network (they do load fine on my home wifi and did as well on Meteor).

What is "interesting" is that if I connect my phone to a VPN, immediately podcasts start to download very quickly, and radio streaming works better (though not perfectly).

This leads me to believe that the issue is not with the data speeds between my phone and the mast, but that O2 are rather doing some nasty traffic shaping on their core network to limit certain types of data flows (which I am likely avoiding by encrypting my data when it goes through the VPN).

Has anyone encountered similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Same. I've had issues like this for the last 2 years with o2 mobile data where certain audio streaming services are skipping tracks or unable to connect. No problem if I'm on WiFi or pop in a voda sim.

i have found a workaround in that the "open.internet" apn will immediately have audio streaming working properly again, but this apn breaks internet sharing on my phone so i am reluctant to use it.

i suspect myself that this issue is related to an audio streaming service o2 were offering a few years back that they subsequently abandoned, but they may have messed up something on their network in the process. Thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks ... in a way it is good to know I am not the only one.

open.internet doesn't seem to work at all for me, but maybe it depends on the data plan people are on (I am on O2 pre-paid with "unlimited" data).

And also I don't know if you have had the chance to use it, but I noticed that video streaming is actually working pretty well for me (whereas it should obviously be much more demanding on the network) ... so it teal seems to be something with audio specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Yeah video has always worked perfectly for me, even now using Plex its no problem. It only seems to affect certain audio streaming protocols, such as those used by 8tracks.com and TuneIn radio. Streaming music from my own Plex server is always fine because i assume its a different protocol.

that open.internet apn may only work for post pay or business users, I'm not sure.

Advertisement