Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Application: Investor or FTB

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm applying for a mortgage at the moment. Because there is a tenant in the house and I don't plan on moving into it for a couople of years, I put down Investor as the type of mortgage I needed.

This gives me more a more expensive mortgage when comparing like for like.

A friend told me that since I do plan on moving into it at some stage and having it as a primary residence, then I can go for a first time buyer mortgage.

Is this true and will the bank look for some sort of proof of this or even will I have to show them I live there somewhere down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭marathonic

You'll need an investment mortgage. You're also likely to need a minimum 25% deposit with most lenders. The rent is likely to need to cover 125% of the mortgage repayment (which is stress tested at 2% above current rates).

If you could secure residential rates based on your intention to live in a house at some point, every landlord in the country would "intend" to move into their investment properties at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

marathonic wrote: »
    You'll need an investment mortgage. You're also likely to need a minimum 25% deposit with most lenders. The rent is likely to need to cover 125% of the mortgage repayment (which is stress tested at 2% above current rates).

If you could secure residential rates based on your intention to live in a house at some point, every landlord in the country would "intend" to move into their investment properties at some point.

I have the 25% deposit. Ok if I say I'm going to live in it straight away, what proof do I need?

Basically, when applying for a FTB mortgage do you need to prove that you'll be indeed living in the property from day 1?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

jimmurt wrote: »
    I have the 25% deposit. Ok if I say I'm going to live in it straight away, what proof do I need?

Basically, when applying for a FTB mortgage do you need to prove that you'll be indeed living in the property from day 1?

I think it'd be very unwise to be economical with the truth in your circumstances.

I think it'd be very unwise to be economical with the truth in your circumstances.

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

I assume that the contract for a non investment mortgage would assume there is vacant possession, something which would not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can you elaborate?

I don't think I need to really - however - You expect a lender to advance you a lot of money, and before they do so you're prepared to lie to them on the application so you can pay them back less.

Seriously?

I don't think I need to really - however - You expect a lender to advance you a lot of money, and before they do so you're prepared to lie to them on the application so you can pay them back less.

Seriously?

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭marathonic

In the UK, lying like this results in your insurance on the property to be invalid. I've heard references to it many times. You have to either get Consent to Let (which the bank offers primarily to allow people to temporarily rent their previous PPR whilst they're awaiting a sale and usually lasts up to a year) or move to a BTL mortgage.

However, I've never heard such references in relation to Irish mortgages - so I assume it doesn't apply here. I'd read your landlord insurance policy VERY carefully to make sure it doesn't apply. This is one of many things to take into consideration.

Advertisement