Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House in Ballygall Parade, looking for advise

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy my first house in Dublin. I am not Irish but I live here since 6 years. I d like to buy a property in Ballygall Parade, Finglas.

I tried to get as much information I could about the area, asking neighbors, Irish friends etc. but someone tells me that is a fairly settled area and safe and secure, someone else tells me that it will be like the hell on earth.

Of course I am very concerned since buying is a big investment for my future and an I don t wanna commit a big mistake...

I don t want to offend anybody with this thread, but I would much appreciate any info about the area, for the peace of mind.

Thanks very much,

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lippok

well at least nobody told me is terrible and stay away from that place ahahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Its not the worst part of Finglas nor the best part. I think anti-social behaviour by kids would be the biggest issue around there than the bigger crime problems elsewhere. The houses are old and unless your target house has been refurbished, watch out for that issue.

Why don't know you walk through the street at night to find out in reality?

Hi Moxin,

well I did it and I didn t find any problem. But maybe it was a coincidence that is why I asked for help.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I've driven through Ballygall Place(where the enclosed greens are located) many on occasion in the past on the way to and from the big Tesco, all looked fine, just small kids hanging out playing. Thats driving which is only a snapshot, walk through the area a good few times not just the once in order to get the vibe. The houses are cheaper there proportionately than streets like Fairways\Ferndale or even the Griffith Rd area, finding out the reason is the key.

Thanks again, I think that the main reason for the cheaper price is the postcode... but I also think that the area is changing and it might be a good investment for the future. This is of course my sensation, and I can be wrong. Hope I am not. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jonnie_doyle

Having made the mistake myself of buying and living in Ballygall Parade for a few years.

I would strongly recommend against it unless you related to someone from there ,from the area or in possession of weapons.

If you stick up for yourself your fucked... If you don't sick up for yourself your also fucked.

Noting but a bunch of dirty filthy animals around there, steer well and truly clear of the kip, I had to leave because I had family.

The old me would have blown the kip to smithereens and I would have been very happy to serve time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Honestly I would avoid like the plague!

Unless you are a native from the area it could be precarious sorry! There is pockets of antisocial behaviour in those areas. You would not want to have a problem with scramblers and horses.

The houses themselves are very very compact, solid but compact. You will need to think about what money will need to be put into it if you decide that you want to sell or rent after 2030 and need to get it up to B2 standard. If you do go I would advise on one towards the end of the block at the edge so that you are not in the thick of it.

That said Finglas is a decent place to live in terms of commuting so close to town to be able to get the bus or cycle, close to airport and decent amount of shops and services in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Some friends I was in college with rented a house there. It was "interesting" going to their house.

Never in a million years would I move there.

Interesting bhahahahah I love it, my dad is Finglas born. I was raised in Bray. Bought my first apt in Finglas west off Barry Ave....

From Bray to Barry Avenue, now that's interesting lol. Baptism of fire to the Northside!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I saw this mentioned somewhere before. Is there actually a law being drafted that requires houses to be upgraded to that standard to allow for sale? Surely that is unconstitutional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Why are we randomly resurrecting an old thread that's almost ten years old?

Dunno. But in the unlikely event the OP is still here I'd be interested if she found it to be like The Wire as everyone promised (most posts here I've read in the last day or two about "how's that area" seem to regard anywhere North of Foxrock and West of Malahide as 1980s Harlem.

"I wouldn't buy there, I once saw a teenager sell a bag of weed in the park a 10 minute walk away."

Id be interested to hear too. Ballygall hasnt changed for the better anyway.

Maybe it isn't but some of the stuff I'm reading on other threads is absolutely hyperbolic nonsense. Makes you wonder how some of these people ever manage to leave the house they are so sensitive to absolute non issues.

Statistically speaking Ireland is recording its lowest rates of violent crime since the early 90s. Quite a few people seem to think certain estates are still teeming with teenage heroin addicts and stolen car rallys every Friday night.

It isn't 1996 any more FFS.

You say that like there are not places people would wish to avoid spending a few hundred thousand euro to live in. :)

I can think of a heap of them off the top of my head. Id also eliminate buying in estates bordering them too. Hell id even eliminate whole areas from my search.

There are lots of places with severe social issues still. Paying hard earned money to move into those places would be a bit stupid imo.

Might not be unconstitutional but it will be a stinger. Parents die, siblings mortgaged to the hilt saddled with homes they need to retrofit to sell, how will people afford it, there might not be anything left after the sale is done and the taxes are paid to pay off the loan.

People will be out of pocket. Not all siblings will be able to afford to put money into the refurb, if you let it go vacant get slapped with more taxes. It's gonna ruin people and cos a lot of misery in families trying to work around this.

But that's what I'm saying- has this law been passed or is it actively being considered.

I know for example an inherited property (or any property) can't be sold until any outstanding LPT debts are resolved, but that involves an actual debt to be resolved. It also needs a BER cert to go on the market- could it be snuck in under this existing legislation?

I mean, if the government can restrict your ability to sell your own property based on BER they can theoretically put maximum price ceilings in place on reselling a private property- something I've seen the nutters in the PBP propose before which was immediately shot down.

I don't know what my BER is. I find it the most utterly moronic USP when it comes to house sales.

It's about time that the establishment copped on that the general public doesn't care about climate change.

While I disagree with all forms of climate politics and state overreach, if it goes through that article says the minimum rating for re sale would be a D rating by 2033 (I presume anywhere within D, so D3)

I might be wrong but I would imagine there are very, very few homes in Ireland that are below that level, and that bringing them up to D would probably involve as little as some roll on insulation in the attic and plugging a few drafts.

I'd also imagine these rules wouldn't apply to shells of properties where a full renovation would be done by the new owner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Can you elaborate please?

I'm looking at a house there.

I'm Irish but not from Dublin. I'm a culchie. I'm average sized man but definitely not intimidating and no experience dealing with gurriers.

• Advertisement

Go take a walk around the area some fine evening. Do it a few times. Get a feel for the area. If you woulds be happy having children grow up there then it should be ok for you. Always think not just of yourself but your wife and children, even if you dont have any. Some day you might have them or some day you might be trying to sell to someone who has them.

Ther are many areas i can walk around that my GF would be scared to walk alone at night in, whether anything happened or not. Its not nice being scared walking home at night. There are many areas too where if i had children i think i wouldnt like them mixing with the local wildlife when they are impressionable teenagers. Ballygall would be one of these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Look at Google maps for the last few years and it will give you an idea of what it's like and the people that live there. I can see multiple areas on the road and by peoples houses were rubbish was burned, bricks on the road where cars were smashed and of course the feral, hands down trousers, gangs.

But East Finglas is gentrifying or is gentrified so I was hoping it would spread to Ballygall.

The Finglas Luas and Metrolink should gentrify it further.

There is a high concentration of social housing in that area, maisonettes that are 100% social housing and a few properties on the road owned by DCC. I think anyway, friend of mine was housed up there a while ago further up the road. I can't see anything changing until the maisonettes are knocked down are replaced with houses but that will probably never happen. Most of finglas east is grand but the price of the property reflects this.

Are the maisonettes the red brick houses in the middle?

The prices probably reflect local knowledge of the area. Just a few hundred metres away and the prices almost double.

Yeah the red brick ones. The ones twice the price is more than likely the nicer area of Finglas East.

Advertisement