Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Payphone?

Options
  • 10-02-2014 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could get one of those old pay phones, black with button A and button B?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

The auction rooms down by the tower have loads of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47638

Good bit of reading above. The bloke at post #38 says he's from Waterford, he might have one in the shed......... ;)

Or if you feel flush........... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Used-Irish-Pub-Furniture-Antique-Bar-Pay-Phone-Public-Telephone-Ireland-/200960603082?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Feck that brings back memorys, used to have one of those in my house growing up (phone was by customers also, hence the payphone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Is that the same type that they have on the wall of the snug in Downes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Do they? They don't work any more, so maybe they'd part with it!

That one on Ebay is way overpriced. You can buy them refurbished for 200 quid. Id like a non-refurbished one to do up myself, just a kind of ornament in my old farmhouse.

cheers!

• Advertisement

I doubt they'd part with it - it's probably been in there since the pub was opened in the 70s!

Found these pics on the Downes Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DownesBar/photos_stream) where you can see the phone in the background:

1512624_623712421024406_444113522_n.jpg

1003190_623713277690987_1492129572_n.jpg

That is indeed what I'm looking for. Mine will be paired with an original bakelite 300-type phone though, not that plastic 746!

(And I know the girl in the 2nd pic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was working in eircom when they cancelled the phone rental and you could just come in a buy your own phone.

There were crates of these phones and much older and odder dumped in to the shop on the promise that the rental would be cancelled and they could just but a lovely new plastic phone.

Eircom came and picked them up, no idea where they ended up, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are still being stored in Tycor!

And I sat beside the girl in pic number 2 in english in school!

Lee-ann as I remember!

Thanks though, I'll ask a friend who works for Eircom.

• Advertisement

@ Dicky, I couldn't see any in the Auction Rooms today.

Any other offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There was a guy called 'jamiecoins' who had a few and other old slot machines for sale on adverts, but it could be 2 out 3 years ago, not much help I know.

Advertisement