Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study for biology?

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As in the title, where to start? where to finish? and most importantly, how to study.. Higher Level Biology :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

A good start would be to revise ecology, it usually comes up every year
    A good piece of advice would also be to try and study the lab experiments, 2 experiments come up every year in section B
    I'd also recommend buying a revise wise or less stress more success books

PS : i got a C3 in higher level biology

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Exam papers - can't stress it enough. Get yourself a refill pad and divide it into three sections and do all the similar questions together e.g. all the genetics qs, ecology qs, plant qs etc. Use the marking schemes as well and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Id also stress the importance of exam papers -
    Usually the level of depth topics are treated with in the exam are a lot different to the depth in the book, what Id usually do is cover a topic and make notes, and then do all the OL and HL questions, go back to my notes and put a strip of highligher along the edge of the stuff that appeared in the exam papers, and that way when it comes to revising closer the exams and there isnt as much time for revision, you can focus in on the stuff that's very likely to appear :)
    Ive never not gotten an A1 in biology and want to study it in college next year and I find this helps a looooot when it comes to revision, and also, before the exam itself (week before ish) I go through each topic and make VERY concise notes, 1 A4 page at most per topic, mainly diagrams and key words, works a charm for helping you remember imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I can't recommend flash cards enough..

I just cut out pieces of card and on one side wrote the word and the other side the definition.

So now I just take all of them out and see if I can say off the definition and turn the card to see if I'm right. If I don't know it I write it outa few times.

Definitions are so important for the paper, not only are there many questions that just ask you to spew out the definition but other questions on the paper can be answered using definitions also!

Other than that.. I find making notes extremely useful.. I have the chapter open and summarize points on a piece of paper.. it works pretty well :) Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Been nearly ten years since I did Biology but I remember writing every possible definition out on cards and reading them again and again and.......

Really worked for me (got an A1). I think this exam (like many of them) is largely a test of your short term memory skills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement