Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats College Waterford?

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi lads :)
    I'm currently mid way through 5th year and struggling with some personal issues. Due to cutbacks of course even after my parents talking to the principal about this I still haven't been made an appointment with the counsellor :/ My schoolwork is going good-ish, but I can feel both myself and my schoolwork inevitably going down the drain. My parents aren't rich or anything but my granny said that she would be willing to help cover Yeat's fees. I'm looking at the 1 year lc course as i heard even if you do they 2 they just do the same course in both years anyway. I already feel like that us such a big ask to my gran and wondering how the hell am I going to ask my parents to cover digs/accommodation as well. I'm also worried about schoolbooks, can I just keep the ones I use in school now without having to get new ones? I heard digs can run into about 5k for the year? I do live in Wexford so would I be better off going up and down or would that be insane?? I heard of a lad that did the 2 year lc course that went up and down everyday.. Say I'd miss out a lot on the social life if I went up and down and imagine how tiring it would be :o If there's any other general stuff you could tell me about Yeats please do, it's greatly appreciated :) And what are the actual full fees for the year? Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KevinJTC

Hi, I went to yeats college waterford a few years ago and did the 1Yr Leaving certificate course.
    I moved there as I was having difficulty in another school.
    The teachers are very good, the classes are 1 Hour long and there is study time during the day which are also 1 hour long.
    Its a totally different environment to the regular classroom / school. there is no uniform, wear your own clothes, teachers are on a first name basis, and the students or at least most of them seemed to be serious about learning and having some fun while doing it. I wasn't the most academic student or social but I found everyone to be friendly and didn't have much problems with teachers. If you put The days are long. for two days a week there is after study, which is pretty much compulsory think its from 6pm to 9pm and regular classes are between 9am and 5pm. there is also study Saturday mornings for a few hours.
    Like I said I wasn't the most social but the long classes and days seem to help people get to know each other.
    The Principal Anne, if she still is there is an intellectual and really plays by the rules. There is not messing or bullying tolerated, silly excuses accepted. Be sure to get on her good side and don't do anything that you know might get you called in over.
    Your treated like an adult, your listened to. they encourage you even if your not the top of the class.
    If it wasn't for them I would have dropped out before my LC.

They cover the LC in one year
    So the 2 yr course is the LC covered twice ( or at least it was when i was there)
    If you did the 2yr course you would meet people in the 2nd yr only starting.
    You could easily do it in one year if you made a decent attempt

They give you everything you need but you need to meet them halfway.
    I would recommend it. How many times will you get to do it.

(Everything I have said is what I experienced there about 4 years ago.)
    Good Luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The above poster only joined today and has posted three times, exclusively saying good things about Yeats college.
    Make of that what you will.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement