Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AndroidOS is killing my battery.

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So I got this annoying thing again on my phone. It happened after latest big update. ( happened last time after big update too )

AndroidOS is always up top in battery usage. Like 70% of battery usage is being taken by it, when the phone is not even being used! It goes from 100% to 60% in 6 hours while I sleep...
    Really annoying thing. I googled it and I am not the only one having this issue and its not just with my phone ( sony experia z ). It is android issue.
    I tried master reset and it did not helped.
    Some say its due to wireless, but even if I got it turned off the issue still there.

So anyone had this and know how to sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I normally use an app called Wakelock Dectector to analyse what part of the OS is draining my battery and work from there. It allows you to see what is waking the device up from its sleep i.e. the time when you should be using the least amount of battery.
    The default battery app doesn't give near enough information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What device is it? And which version of android?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

which phone is it

get an app killer also turn off wifi

buy biffer battery

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I normally use an app called Wakelock Dectector to analyse what part of the OS is draining my battery and work from there. It allows you to see what is waking the device up from its sleep i.e. the time when you should be using the least amount of battery.
    The default battery app doesn't give near enough information.

I will try this.

Phone is experia Z.

Well, I an not sure what I am looking for now. I installed that wakelock app. Left phone overnight and it went down to 93% in 5h with no usage. Not as bad this time around. I am barely using my phone and I am on 83% on 9h now.

I checked now and trying to figure out which things makes my phone not to go in to idle stance.

Interesting entry is: devicemonitorservice 0.8s X 321!!!

I am just wondering if it's just internal program or just some sort of experia add on yoke? Could that be it?

Email 2s x15 times, which is a bit weird too.

Facebook 0.3s X 17 times too.

Would these be all normal in a span of 9hours mostly idle state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mazdaroy

Do you sign out of Facebook? if not then your phone will check for updates every hour (or what ever you have it set to check)

Email will check for new emails at certain times even when in sleep mode.

Facebook is weird one. I have not even logged in Facebook... I have logged in now and turned off all notifications etc.

Email is weird one too as I have it disabled to do automatic check ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Facebook is weird one. I have not even logged in Facebook... I have logged in now and turned off all notifications etc.

Email is weird one too as I have it disabled to do automatic check ups.

Facebook app is weird, full stop

Try using the mobile web version through your browser, and uninstall the app. I bet that alone will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

That wakelock monitor has different areas to look at such as whats keeping your screen awake (a big battery killer on the larger screen phones), what is waking up your CPU and what is generally causing wakeups.
    In truth I'm still getting used to it but I have removed a problem app and I did notice an improvement in my battery life.

As well as the wakelock monitor I've been using use an application called DS Battery Saver which has really saved mine and a friends battery. This app forces your phone into a deep sleep (DS), when you turn the screen off, waking up your data connection once an hour to check for messages etc. You can use a different profile to wake it up every 30 minutes or however much you need.

Advertisement