Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get an Irish exemption in Uni?

Options
  • 09-02-2014 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I was born outside of Ireland, in Australia, but I've been doing Irish since I started primary school. Both of my parents are Irish.

I've read I can get an exemption from Irish in college. I'm pretty crap at it, so it would be nice to know if I do fail it, it doesn't matter.

Can I do this? Surely it's not that easy?
    I'm in 5th year, so when would I have to apply for this exemption if I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I was born outside of Ireland, in Australia, but I've been doing Irish since I started primary school. Both of my parents are Irish.

I've read I can get an exemption from Irish in college. I'm pretty crap at it, so it would be nice to know if I do fail it, it doesn't matter.

Can I do this? Surely it's not that easy?
    I'm in 5th year, so when would I have to apply for this exemption if I do?

What do you mean by the bit highlighted above? In college? do you mean as an entry requirement to get into college?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I suspect he means an exemption from the NUI requirement for Irish for matriculation, it's always coming up.

And yes, most likely - see here.

However please note that this is an entirely separate thing from the DES requirement to study Irish in school; normally only those who came to Ireland when aged over 11 are granted that exemption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

no you will need irish if you did it in primary school

exemption

If your primary education up to the age of eleven years was outside the Republic of Ireland (26 counties); or
    If your second level education took place for at least three years outside the Republic of Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

no you will need irish if you did it in primary school

exemption

If your primary education up to the age of eleven years was outside the Republic of Ireland (26 counties); or
    If your second level education took place for at least three years outside the Republic of Ireland.

Please note that the section you quote is headed:

"For candidates born in the Republic of Ireland (26 counties) ..."

and refers to the circumstances in which someone who was born here but who lived outside Ireland for a time may be exempt.

The OP was not born in Ireland, and the previous section is the relevant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Passing irish isn't a requirement for trinity college...

But it helps as you need another language other than english.

• Advertisement
Advertisement