Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouya console for xbmc etc.

Options
  • 09-02-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for thoughts and advice on the Ouya.

Has anyone used it for xbmc. If so what are your thoughts.

Also what's it like for movie playback, MKV etc.

Finally, anyone have any thoughts on emulation on it.

Many thanks,

Whackball

PS am posting in the HTPC forum also to get more feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

whackball wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for thoughts and advice on the Ouya.

Has anyone used it for xbmc. If so what are your thoughts.

Also what's it like for movie playback, MKV etc.

Finally, anyone have any thoughts on emulation on it.

Many thanks,

Whackball

PS am posting in the HTPC forum also to get more feedback.

It's great for XBMC and emulators.

Can't comment on anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Hi,

The Ouya is great for xbmc, plays everything, very smooth and I haven't had it crash myself.
    There are issues with it going to sleep directly from xbmc as I believe it doesn't have root access permissions for Android, but to be honest, the thing runs 24/7 for me, is completely quiet and never runs hot.
    As there is no IR built into the Ouya, and the controller is a bit awkward to use to control, I use Yatse from the Play store to control using my smartphone.

There is an issue with licensing for some audio codec for the official ouya version which mutes sound on certain files. You can sideload (download the apk and install it manually) the regular android version of xbmc to get around this. You will need to launch that version from your "Make" section.
    Personally I'm using SPMC which is an unofficial offshoot made for the Ouya which is exactly the same but has no licensing issues and runs from your "Play" menu, available here:
    http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying

While it will likely never replace my main HTPC, I will be getting another one for secondary rooms when the 2nd version of Ouya comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Hi, looking to get XBMC set up but not sure what hardware to get. I've heard loads on the Ouya and the Midnight MX2. Any one have any experience of either one or know of other systems that work well with XBMC. I've no real interest in getting ATV.

Advertisement