Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my supermarket take €30 in 2 euro coins and exchange it for cash?

Options
  • 09-02-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi boards,

Im goin Orlando, FL via Philadelphia, PA next week and was wondering about this. I have €35, all in 1 and 2 euro coins and was wondering if my local SuperQuinn would take them and hand me back €35 in notes (AIB bureau de change need notes)?? It's not as if there 50c's etc cause the 1's and 2's take about 1 minute to count.

I dont have one of them coin counters nearby me and the commission due is high :(

Anyways thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

DoktorFrog wrote: »
    Hi boards,

Im goin Orlando, FL via Philadelphia, PA next week and was wondering about this. I have €35, all in 1 and 2 euro coins and was wondering if my local SuperQuinn would take them and hand me back €35 in notes (AIB bureau de change need notes)?? It's not as if there 50c's etc cause the 1's and 2's take about 1 minute to count.

I dont have one of them coin counters nearby me and the commission due is high :(

Anyways thanks!

Go into a small shop the appreciate it more than a supermarket. The like of petrol stations or a newsagent. Unless they just had a run on notes they will swap it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DoktorFrog

Thanks for your quick reply! Hadn't thought of the newsagents. Will drop it in some stage over the week.

Thanks sidcon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could you not just spend it on day to day stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

DoktorFrog wrote: »
    Hi boards,

Anyways thanks!

What has your travel plans and stop over destination got to do with 35 euro in coins.
    What a weird post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

just be aware, shops are under no obligation to accept a lot of coin. The only place who has to accept it is the bank (even then they can be odd about it in some branches!).

I'm sure a shop might happily accept, but they would have to check it all and might not want to count it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

dobsdave wrote: »
    What has your travel plans and stop over destination got to do with 35 euro in coins.
    What a weird post.

Thinly veiled "I'm going on holidays" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

dobsdave wrote: »
    What a weird post.

No, you see, its a good thing he is stopping in Philly, because the supermarket wouldn't accept his change if he flew direct to Orlando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Local pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I assume the poster is a child excited about their upcoming holiday. Cut them some slack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement