Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like giving up

Options
  • 09-02-2014 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have my mocks this week and I have been trying to study all day but nothing is staying in my head! I just can't remember any of it!

I am trying so hard and I'm still getting average/below average results.

I couldn't face the prospect of repeating the LC as it has truly ruined my life since September. It's all I think about and every day I am worrying about having to repeat.

I do not need a lot of points for my desired course (< 300 ) yet I am still stressing out so badly.

I only do four higher level subjects so I can't really go down in anymore.

Has anyone any ideas for stopping the constant worry about failing?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Hi,

I have my mocks this week and I have been trying to study all day but nothing is staying in my head! I just can't remember any of it!

I am trying so hard and I'm still getting average/below average results.

Thanks!!

What are you worrying about? That your life is 'over' if you don't get the points you need? It's the teachers job to make you think that, in my experience. Even for people that don't do a leaving cert, there are options like PLC courses.

The brain is great at making things out to be worse than they actually are! You might be over-analyzing a small bit! :)

You haven't even done your mocks yet, so how do you have any idea if you're above/below average?....

Do the pre's, see what results you get and go from there. You might find that things are not as hopeless as they seem right now. Relax, stop thinking so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Thanks for the reply!

I suppose but I have done one mock and it went very bad. So much of the stuff I actually knew didn't come up.

Is there any hope in me improving before June because I honestly am putting a lot of effort into it but its not paying off.

I keep imagining what it will be like next August if I fail maths or don't get the points I need. Its terrifying.

I will do a PLC if i have to and I would actually be happy doing a PLC and I have applied for a couple but I have my heart set on one particular course that I really want to do.

School seems like such a waste of time sometimes as I don't remember what the teachers are saying. Would I be better off going to the library and studying there so I will actually remember the stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

OP, don't be working yourself up. I remember i was like you, annoyed nothing was staying in the noggin and working myself up. That's why nothing was staying in, panic! So just leave it for the rest of the evening and try to relax to some music or a good walk to get some air. Sure, i failed some of my mocks, but that's what they're there for, to try and show you your strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully when June came i done my exams and passed all.
    I now have a lovely Family, home, cars and job. I know it's easy to say, but try and relax. If i can get all these things out of life anyone can. :-D

Thanks for the reply,

What did you do after your mocks to improve on them? Did you change the way you study or anything?

In comparison to some people the amount of points I need are minuscule but I just can't help but worry about it, Even though I know its not the end of the world, it does feel like it.

Hopefully I will look back at this in August and laugh at how much of a fool i was!

Thanks for the reply,

What did you do after your mocks to improve on them? Did you change the way you study or anything?

In comparison to some people the amount of points I need are minuscule but I just can't help but worry about it, Even though I know its not the end of the world, it does feel like it.

Hopefully I will look back at this in August and laugh at how much of a fool i was!

I just simply carried on as is. I studied almost every day. Don't forget, it's also equally important to have a day or two off. I gave myself a Thursday evening and a Sunday. If you keep trying to jam it all in then you're doing yourself no favours as you are simply overloading the brain. Do you take a 5 minute break every hour for yourself? Just to get up, stretch and chill. Break your subjects up into say 2 a night.
    At the end of the day, don't stress yourself. You will get there and you'll wonder why you worked yourself up. It is alot of pressure for youngsters, no question about that, but do try and make it a little easier on yourself, breath, relax and take your breaks.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks,

I will take what you said on board.

I actually feel a lot better from just writing all this out haha!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

OP, I was exactly the same as you when I was in leaving cert. I'll tell you now, even if you got 0 points, it's not the end of the world!!! It's very over-hyped! Study and do your best, that's all you can do!!!

If you don't get the points you want for a particular course, there's always another way, e.g. PLC or consider doing a level 6 or 7. Trust me, you'll be fine. ;) There's no point stressing about it, just study and do your best. Stressing about it will get you nowhere. Whatever will be, will be.

Ok thanks,

Thanks!

There you go!!! Whatever happens, hold nothing in, don't be afraid to tell someone or share here. There's always someone there to listen. All the best. Let us know

Ok thanks,

Thanks!

There you go!!! Whatever happens, hold nothing in, don't be afraid to tell someone or share here. There's always someone there to listen. All the best. Let us know

Advertisement