Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband slow because of restaurant in my area.

Options
  • 09-02-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a rural area in cork, Right next to a very popular restaurant, The restaurant offers free wifi to all customers, This quantity of people using their wifi I assume is bogging down my bandwidth of my broadband, Am I entitled to send them some sort of cease and desist or a request or something?

For the past few months I've been doing speed tests on my internet and on days like mondays and tuesdays when this restaurant does not operate my internet gets about 3.4mb (Max) and on days that the restaurant does not operate I get significantly lower speeds, I noticed around peak times for the restaurant I could get maybe 0.20 mbs ( on average)

I don't have any hard evidence, Just data and times really, But its very much consistent (early in the mornings when the restaurant doesn't operate I can manage a 4mb/ps speed.

Am I entitled to ask them to stop? Or what can I do, This is really important as I very much run part of my life on the internet,

Kind Regards,

Jl

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 janvankul

jldesign wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in a rural area in cork, Right next to a very popular restaurant, The restaurant offers free wifi to all customers, This quantity of people using their wifi I assume is bogging down my bandwidth of my broadband, Am I entitled to send them some sort of cease and desist or a request or something?

For the past few months I've been doing speed tests on my internet and on days like mondays and tuesdays when this restaurant does not operate my internet gets about 3.4mb (Max) and on days that the restaurant does not operate I get significantly lower speeds, I noticed around peak times for the restaurant I could get maybe 0.20 mbs ( on average)

I don't have any hard evidence, Just data and times really, But its very much consistent (early in the mornings when the restaurant doesn't operate I can manage a 4mb/ps speed.

Am I entitled to ask them to stop? Or what can I do, This is really important as I very much run part of my life on the internet,

Kind Regards,

Jl

Have you free wifi then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jldesign

No, My own, But I assume as its the same line they're wifi slows down mine. To do with bandwidth on the line and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What you're suggesting is the contention ratio. What ISP are you with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

No, My own, But I assume as its the same line they're wifi slows down mine. To do with bandwidth on the line and all that.

Why not use there's on the days there open?

Sky Currently,
    Moved from eircom (Original) - to - vodafone - to - sky.

• Advertisement

Why not use there's on the days there open?

I'm not in range, Not exceptionally close like, Just in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Your ISP is the one you'd want to be getting on to. The restaurant is entitled to use their service within the terms and conditions set out by their own ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Switch Wi-Fi channel. Move at least 2 channels away from your current one.

Nate

Hmm, I figured so, But theres not much they can do, I've contemplated sending the restaurant a nice little asking to remove it, But I don't want o trigger any backfire, Like, Surely in a rural area they shouldn't be allowed clog up the broadband like that. It would be fine if it was in town where they have the infrastructure for it, But here?

Switch Wi-Fi channel. Move at least 2 channels away from your current one.

Nate

How might I do that? Will it affect my devices, I use all Macs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Login to your router, go to the wi-fi section and change to another channel. It won't affect your devices at all.

Better yet, first download a wi-fi analyser for your phone to see which channels are the least congested.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hmm, I figured so, But theres not much they can do, I've contemplated sending the restaurant a nice little asking to remove it, But I don't want o trigger any backfire, Like, Surely in a rural area they shouldn't be allowed clog up the broadband like that. It would be fine if it was in town where they have the infrastructure for it, But here?
    The restaurant will have a certain maximum throughput allocated to them by their ISP, which they must reallocate to their customers. If the restaurant has allocated the full bandwidth to the free wifi the number of customers using it won't make a difference. You could have one customer using the full bandwidth or 40 sharing it, but they can't exceed the connection speed. One premesis can't hog a whole area's bandwidth. You might as well ask your neighbours not to use their connection when you're online.

Also do you know are the restaurant using the same network as you? They could be using DSL, satellite, wi-max etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Case of correlation and causation here.

If you're seeing a slowdown like that its congestion (unless you're in an apartment block, maybe) which means you're likely on a legacy exchange. This will give the restaurant a max of 7Mb. Probably the same package as yourself.

Chances are there are at least 50 customers on that exchange, and backhaul would have to be at minimum 100Mbps. One 7Mb line cant congest 100Mb+. Not possible. What you're seeing is PEAK HOURS congestion. Everyones usage is low in the mornings and early weak, but a friday night sees huge usage, and guess what, thats a busy night for restaurants. Its not them doing it, its everyone on that exchange competing.

Advertisement