Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Analog

Options
  • 09-02-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this, I have UPC 200mb broadband... when i connect the television into the wall outlet, i receive roughly 17 channels, which is fine. Unfortunately if i use a splitter, the TV signal degrades badly. Is there a splitter/amplifier anyone is using? or is there a similar saorview box which will take an analog connection and improve the signal?

Many thanks in advance
    Dpjmie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the older boxes, UPC supplied a splitter so from the splitter you had one cable going to the broadband router and the other going to the digital TV decoder. The Horizon box does broadband and TV so there is no splitter.

Are you using a plain co-ax splitter like this..

medscaleCOAX-SPLITTER.jpg

If so then the signal mustn't be strong enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Thanks for the reply... I have been using a splitter like the second one... It says its a 5-1000mhz... Lists 6.5db in and 2.2db out... Im not too sure what this is but im presuming it takes 6.5db and splits it to two 2.2db and i lose 2.1db?? Anyone can clear that up for me id appreciate it, and if there is such a thing as one that doesn't lost quality... like one that is an amplifier also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MANSFIELD

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dpjmie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply... I have been using a splitter like the second one... It says its a 5-1000mhz... Lists 6.5db in and 2.2db out... Im not too sure what this is but im presuming it takes 6.5db and splits it to two 2.2db and i lose 2.1db?? Anyone can clear that up for me id appreciate it, and if there is such a thing as one that doesn't lost quality... like one that is an amplifier also :)

Unless you've illegally wired yourself into the UPC network, the signal coming into your house should be strong enough to feed up to three TV points without an amplifier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Could be a problem in the box out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Cheers people, just decided to take the plunge and order horizon

Thanks again

Advertisement