Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone bought in Canada

Options
  • 09-02-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am going on holidays to Canada and thought I might buy myself a new smartphone as they are much cheaper there. I have a pay as you go sim card in my old phone. I don't care if it works in Canada (only on holidays there), I want it to work back in Ireland. Will an unlocked Canadian bought phone work with my irish pay as you go sim card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

In 2G, yes as long as it is a GSM phone (not CDMA).
    In 3G, most likely under the same condition.
    In 4G, it depends on the model. 4G frequencies are quite different in Canada compared to Europe so you would have to pick a "world phone" which is designed to work with frequencies from all continents. If you are looking at Apple, the latest generation iPhones (5S and 5C) are global and will work with all 4G frequencies here, but the previous generation (iPhone 5) were not and a Canadian model wouldn't necessarily work here in 4G (but would work in 3G or 2G). For other brands it will depend on the particular model you are getting, so you might need to do some research beforehand.

You know what phone you want and where you want to buy it? (also be careful if you buy from a mobile operator there as they might have specific versions of the phone for their network ... Rogers would probably be the safe bet as their are using GSM)

Advertisement