Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revisited - Amp mods (vht ultra 6)

Options
  • 09-02-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've seen the 2008 or so threads on amp repairs, etc. I've got an ultra 6 that I want to have a bunch of mods done, as well as choke and transformer updates... Anybody in the Dub area that can do these types of mods... Is easy to work with and top quality? Thanks!

Patrick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Have you seen the 40 or so page thread on tdpri about this with schematics etc

I had the Special 6 with the 10" speaker , a lovely amp for cleans but sounded a little boxy with distortion.
    I put in new valves & an Emimence Ramrod speaker that made a noticeable difference but have to say that the original speaker was nearly as good, I eventually sold it because of the boxiness but would like to get the Ultra or 20 watt with 12" speaker

I cant recommend a good amp tech but recon you could print off the modded schematics from tdpri & get exactly what you want done

Please keep us updated on this as to what you get done, how much of a difference it made & cost.

WT

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pwmcmaho

Yes I have... Good stuff.. This guy has done a roundup of a bunch of the mods I'd like to do: http://robrobinette.com/Special6UltraMod.htm

Main things are to:

Update the tone stack
    Put in high quality choke and transformer from Mercury Mags
    Split the two inputs so I can use an a/b to switch between clean and dirty
    Send and return level controls
    Negative feedback mod

Don't need reverb or more distortion as I have plenty of pedals for that...

If you want to PM me the tech, I'd appreciate. I will defiantly go in withs schems in hand.. In fact need to order some of the more specific parts if a tech doesn't already have access (choke/transformer) etc.

Will defiantly / definitely (tomAto / tomaato) record before and after tones... Since she is stock currently.

Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Thanks a lot Patrick !
    You got me gassing for an ultra 6 head now, I have a 6 " jensen speaker that would fit nicely in there
    I should stop visiting here ;-)

Thats a good link though, I found the tdpri thread too hard to follow with people doing mods on top of mods but everything is here in the one page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If you're any way competent with a soldering iron and a multimeter there's a guy on e-Bay that sells mod kits, certainly for the special 6, so perhaps for the Ultra too.
    I got the special 6 mod kit which comes with all instructions and a very detailed step by step guide with pictures. About €50 all in I think I paid.

Advertisement