Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Ombudsman "under high-tech surveillance"

Options
  • 09-02-2014 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

According to today's Sunday Times, the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) was subject to a sophisticated surveillance operation which used “government-level technology” to hack into its emails, wi-fi and phone systems.

Link: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1373695.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_02_08

It seems the surveillance was detected last year after the GSOC engaged security consultants in the UK to investigate whether its HQ was bugged.

The consultants allegedly discovered that a phone in the GSOC offices was bugged. The bugged room was "regularly used to hold case conferences on sensitive investigations".

"A test of the line confirmed the phone was being used to eavesdrop on meetings", according to the Sunday Times sources.

Very odd. Who might be motivated to put the GSOC under surveillance? And who would have the technology and expertise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

"government level technology" - In Ireland isn't that just off the shelf technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    According to today's Sunday Times, the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) was subject to a sophisticated surveillance operation which used “government-level technology” to hack into its emails, wi-fi and phone systems.

Link: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1373695.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_02_08

It seems the surveillance was detected last year after the GSOC engaged security consultants in the UK to investigate whether its HQ was bugged.

The consultants allegedly discovered that a phone in the GSOC offices was bugged. The bugged room was "regularly used to hold case conferences on sensitive investigations".

"A test of the line confirmed the phone was being used to eavesdrop on meetings", according to the Sunday Times sources.

Very odd. Who might be motivated to put the GSOC under surveillance? And who would have the technology and expertise?

Its pretty obvious its the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious its the gardai.

You can't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

They obviously know the source themselves, as clearly they became aware that info was being leaked to someone, which is why they requested the investigation presumably? I could think of a few groups of people who might be interested in eavesdropping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Last year there was international upset at revelations that the US was eavesdropping on just about everybody all the time.

Could the GSOC have initiated the investigation as a general security measure, prompted by the heightened awareness of surveillance?

Interesting that they went to the UK for expertise, though.

• Advertisement

I think it is difficult to source that sort of expertise by private companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Supposing the NSA would be anywhere near this is probably a bit fantastical. It's an interesting story, would love to read more on it; fecking paywall.

It is interesting though. I suppose since we don't have anything like MI5/MI6 or CIA, we don't tend to think too much of espionage!
    As far as I know, a guy did an experiment with 10 hotels in Ireland, and he could tap into the wifi of 7 of them and access all internet activity by guests/staff accessing the wifi. He did it to prove a point obviously. That was only last year, so it clearly doesn't require sophisticated technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Allowing WiFi access to a sensitive network is a shocking lapse in security by GSOC if it is true.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Is this an Emergency Services issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Shield wrote: »
    Is this an Emergency Services issue?
    1. Are they not an ombudsman for an emergency service?
    2. Is the ES section of boards not for serving members of the emergency services(aswell as people with general interest of same) ?
    3. If the answer to 2 is yes would this not be an ideal place for said members particularly serving gardai to talk about an issue regarding their ombudsman
    If the answer to 1,2,3 is yes then it is an emergency services issue.

Don't mention it

Mod note: There is now a thread on this in the Politics forum, which is the best place for it IMO. -Shield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

1. Following that logic, is this the correct forum to discuss complaints to Dublin City Council about Dublin Fire Brigade - an Emergency Service, complaints to the Ombudsman for HSE-related matters like Ambulance shortages or response times - an Emergency Service, complaints to the Department of Transport about the Irish Coast Guard - also an Emergency Service? I say No.

2. As per the forum charter: "This forum is for the discussion of emergency services in general and is open to all posters, whether they are serving / former members of an emergency service, prospective members or just have an interest. That said, if a member makes false claims as to their membership of a service this will result in an immediate and permanent ban."

3. No. That is not related to the service they provide, and is not what this forum is for. This forum is for the discussion of emergency services, as stated above. If anyone works for an Emergency Service, and they wish to discuss the relationship between one Government body and another Government body, that would be done in the Politics forum. If you head over there, you'll see they discuss various matters regarding the Financial Ombudsman, the Ombudsman, the HSE, and so on.

Because I have given this matter some thought, and I have explained why I think this matter does not fall under the remit of this forum in Point 1 above, I don't think ES is the correct forum for this discussion, but I DO think that the Politics forum would be more suitable, so I am closing this thread with a recommendation that the OP either start the thread anew in Politics by simple 'Copy & Paste', or simply drop me a PM and I will move it across to there with a 14-day redirect time limit.

Don't mention it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement