Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender-quotas on BBC comedy panel shows

Options
  • 09-02-2014 5:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

The director of BBC television is quoted, in the below article, as saying, "We're not going to have panel shows on any more with no women on them. You can't do that ... I'm making it clear to production teams that there's just no excuse for delivering all-male guest lists."

BBC chief: no more comedy shows with all-male panels | The Guardian

Here is an article by Joe Brand giving her opinion on why women "don't want to go on panel shows."

I'm not sure I agree with Brand that women are inherently unsuited to the comedy panel-show format, and her other criticisms seem to affect men, as well. But, I agree that there are barriers to entry.

From the BBC's perspective, there are some brilliant female comedians on the circuit (e.g. Bridget Christi, Josie Long), but they are still overwhelming out-numbered by male comedians. It's going to be a challenge to match that quota. And, there's a danger that the same female comedians will be used to the point of saturation.

IMO, the best female comics wouldn't do that type of comedy anyway.

I think gender-quotas or dictats regarding gender balance are justified (and necessary) in such spheres as politics and and the public service. But, I'm not so sure that they should be applied in regard to artistic endeavours.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Firstly, the description of QI as a macho environment amused me, Stephen Fry and Alan Davies are hardly the epitome of alpha males.

Secondly, the insistence of RTE on having a token female on The Panel every week, regardless of how unfunny they were, springs to mind. Doesn't matter how ****e they are, just wheel out someone without a penis and fill the quota.

It would be more in TV execs line to ensure panel shows have decent guests who contribute rather than worry about how many women are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

ceegee wrote: »
    Firstly, the description of QI as a macho environment amused me, Stephen Fry and Alan Davies are hardly the epitome of alpha males.

QI was singled-out as being "more women-friendly than others". No mention was made of it having a "macho environment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

As long as it is not Sarah Millican getting put on the shows I couldn't care less.

'' I'm fat, nothern and men don't find me sexually attractive."

A godess of the comedy circuit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Would be better if the BBC hired panel show participants on merit as opposed to gender, or which management company the talent is represented by.

At least now it's official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

So the first thing they check is not that the guest is funny/amusing/articulate but the missing penis requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I think we're in the wrong forum, guys: someone started a thread on this topic, this morning, in the After Hours forum. It has received 122 posts and over 5k views. This is the OP:
    What a ridiculously patronising decision by the BBC. Panel shows should be funny, regardless of the gender of the panellists.

I'm not a subscriber to the notion that women can't be funny, they most certainly can, but to book a comedienne on the basis of gender alone seems completely condescending and over the top PC.

By all means, book more women, but for the love of Stephen Fry, at least do it based on merit, not just because they're women!

Needless to say, not exactly restrained or balanced! Perhaps predictably, a Daily Mail article is the basis of the post. I wasn't aware that "comedienne" was still in non-ironical usage. The conclusion - "By all means, book more women, but ... at least do it based on merit" - seems confused, to me: I imagine the idea is that the female quota would be selected on merit.

The OP has received 86 Thanks.

Advertisement