Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick council house waiting times

Options
  • 09-02-2014 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Dunno if im in the right place so feel free to move!!!
    Hi all im a mum of 2 partner living with me i have been on d council list qualified since 2008. I applied for rent allowance bt was refused due to our rented accom being so unfit to live in. We cannot afford to move and my eldest is in school. There is someone constantly sick over house condition. I hav been fobed off by council so many times saying they will consider us if a house comes up tjere are a few boarded up houses around
    Basically im asking if anyone can give me some advis.and or how long they were waiting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't know about Limerick, but with most councils, there is a lengthy wait.
    In Dublin it's roughly around 10 years for a couple; possibly less if you've children.

Have you considered doing the RAS scheme?
    Councils are a lot more willing to participate in this scheme as it removes you from the Housing List.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bubabear

RAS not really an option as the cons out weight the pros! Always expected a long waiting time we r waiting 6 yrs! We tried saving for a mortgage bt job losses nd other things put a halt to.dat. jdt annoying as i walk past many boarded up cc houses nd in some of them cc r cleaning again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Bubabear wrote: »
    RAS not really an option as the cons out weight the pros!
    What cons and do they outweigh the problems that you say you have with your current accommodation?

It only lasts 10 years we would like to b able to have option of buying! It is the same thing as private renting only council pay. This scheme was only thought up to make housing waiting list smaller! Anyone i hav spoken to says it is biggest mistake they ever made thats not ro say it wud suit others!

It only lasts 10 years we would like to b able to have option of buying!
    Don't you have the option of buying whatever house you want right now? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Almost sounds like you want a council house then buy it at a later stage ,

Op what's stopping you finding a more suitable house /apartment and get the help from rent supplement ,

alot of people prefer the RAS scheme ,

It sounds an odd position your in being honest

Unforunately after we lost our jobs my partner got sick and other thing any little start we had is gone nw we live week by week like so many others! My last post on readin again looked like we had options other than cc housing we dont! We live in a house thats soo bad we constantly sick no rent allowance as even health board rhink it nt worth it! We would rent somewhere else but there is no where close goin further not an option as we dnt hav car nd no bus service for school, doc and so on

We live in a house thats soo bad we constantly sick no rent allowance as even health board rhink it nt worth it!
    Why don't you rent somewhere else that is applicable for rent allowance?

No Pants wrote: »
    Why don't you rent somewhere else that is applicable for rent allowance?

No where around us we r living rural and places are scarce we r looking into complete move somewhere change school nd all dat but it is last restort

Looks like you're going to have to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No where around us we r living rural and places are scarce we r looking into complete move somewhere change school nd all dat but it is last restort

When it comes down to the health of your family

It should be your first resort ,

As pointed out waiting lists are stupidly long around the country , and a massive shortage of housing stock doesn't help ,

I'd be gone , kids can easily cope and adapt with changes such as schools and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Have you submitted medical reports to the council as evidence of the unsuitability of the house you are currently in? I don't know if it would make much difference but it couldn't hurt. Maybe they could give you more priority on medical grounds.

Are you currently renting the house you are in now? There are minimum standards rental property should be and if yours is not up to scratch the landlord has an obligation to sort it out. Threshold and the PRTB would be able to advise you on this.

Sounds like a tough situation and I hope you can get something sorted out for you and your family.

Looks like d only option left thanks for all opinions sometimes it some else saying wat u no helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No more textspeak please- please abide by the forum rules.

Regards,

The_Conductor

No more textspeak please- please abide by the forum rules.

Regards,

The_Conductor

Apologizes did it without thinking.

Have you submitted medical reports to the council as evidence of the unsuitability of the house you are currently in? I don't know if it would make much difference but it couldn't hurt. Maybe they could give you more priority on medical grounds.

Are you currently renting the house you are in now? There are minimum standards rental property should be and if yours is not up to scratch the landlord has an obligation to sort it out. Threshold and the PRTB would be able to advise you on this.

Sounds like a tough situation and I hope you can get something sorted out for you and your family.

Have submitted photos and tried to send medical letters but was told that as thet are not from a consultan

Have submitted photos and invited council to come inspect for themselves tried to send in G.P letters but as they are not from consultant in a hospital they wont take into consideration. They do have medical reports from when i was younger as i had a serious illness

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, what I'm reading is that you would rather wait for a council house, while keeping your kids in a grossly unsuitable house where they get sick, and where you have a lots less money available to you 'cos you cannot even get RA, than consider a RAS house - just because you won't have an option to buy the RAS house later on.

Really? Is the thought of maybe being able to buy a council house in 10 years time that appealing that you're willing to watch your kids suffer for it now? Have you talked to your kids lately about how they like being sick?

My mind is just boggling here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

OP, what I'm reading is that you would rather wait for a council house, while keeping your kids in a grossly unsuitable house where they get sick, and where you have a lots less money available to you 'cos you cannot even get RA, than consider a RAS house - just because you won't have an option to buy the RAS house later on.

Really? Is the thought of maybe being able to buy a council house in 10 years time that appealing that you're willing to watch your kids suffer for it now? Have you talked to your kids lately about how they like being sick?

My mind is just boggling here.

Cannot fathom it either.

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Cannot fathom it either.

The reason is not that i cannot buy in 10 years it is condition that we must meet that i cannot go Ras route we must be recieving rent allowance for 18 consectutive months. I lay awake every night looking papers internet fir somewhere else to live. I have already explained when reading back on that statement it read completly wrong. Im sorry if i cone across short but im not willingly leaving my babies in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

The reason is not that i cannot buy in 10 years it is condition that we must meet that i cannot go Ras route we must be recieving rent allowance for 18 consectutive months. I lay awake every night looking papers internet fir somewhere else to live. I have already explained when reading back on that statement it read completly wrong. Im sorry if i cone across short but im not willingly leaving my babies in these conditions.

Okay I would get on to your local councellor/TD and see if they can speed things up for you. Tell them about the conditions your living in, your kids being sick etc. if they are any use they will contact the council and explain the urgency of your case.

Thanks have gone to T.D he is doing what he can. Just to clear up the buying house thing it was ment as RAs is the same as private renting and is only for 10 yrs and at the end of it we would b back in same position as now. Sorry

Thanks have gone to T.D he is doing what he can. Just to clear up the buying house thing it was ment as RAs is the same as private renting and is only for 10 yrs and at the end of it we would b back in same position as now. Sorry if it came across arrogant like ras was beneath me it really does sound like a great scheme that works for some and under other circumdrances we would be first to try

RAs is the same as private renting and is only for 10 yrs and at the end of it we would b back in same position as now. Sorry
    I don't think they put you back into the same unhealthy situation that you are in now.

Thanks have gone to T.D he is doing what he can. Just to clear up the buying house thing it was ment as RAs is the same as private renting and is only for 10 yrs and at the end of it we would b back in same position as now. Sorry

Ahh, sorry, but no you wouldn't.

The council would be required to house you in a house that is fit for living in - not in one that makes you sick. That is quite different from where you are now.

You do not have a god-given right to be able to buy a property. Lots of people will never own their own house.

Frankly, this thread is yet another reason why councils should not be allowed to sell their properties. IMHO.

Ahh, sorry, but no you wouldn't.

The council would be required to house you in a house that is fit for living in - not in one that makes you sick. That is quite different from where you are now.

You do not have a god-given right to be able to buy a property. Lots of people will never own their own house.

Frankly, this thread is yet another reason why councils should not be allowed to sell their properties. IMHO.
    Yet again i will say the buying a house commment was misconstrude. If you read up on RAS sxheme yoou will see that a lot of people wont qualify. Its not as i they are buying a house. And as to yourr comment about my god given right i never said that in fact im a very selfless person who never asks for anything exccept help to rent a cc house I hav always worked up to 2 years ago in permenant positions and within the last two years i have had temp jobs. Maybe its the way i have written my comments but i dont think i should have a god given right to buy but i do think that after already paying rent privatly for 9 years that it is dead money. I have always worked hard

Im going to try explain this better
    im on cc waiting list 6 year
    I live in a house unfit to live in
    I have gone everywhere to find more suitable accom
    U made a comment a buying a house which i didnt mean as it read
    I ment it as i would rather be in a position to instead of being a burden to cc
    i do not qualify for RAS
    i dont think im "entitled" to anything i have always worked hard for what i have
    I do believe that all people deserve a hand when they need it
    i am sorry if i have offended anyone
    If i have written something that sounds rhat bad again please ask me to explain I have been told i pass comments that sound rediculous

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yet again i will say the buying a house commment was misconstrude. If you read up on RAS sxheme yoou will see that a lot of people wont qualify. Its not as i they are buying a house. And as to yourr comment about my god given right i never said that in fact im a very selfless person who never asks for anything exccept help to rent a cc house I hav always worked up to 2 years ago in permenant positions and within the last two years i have had temp jobs. Maybe its the way i have written my comments but i dont think i should have a god given right to buy but i do think that after already paying rent privatly for 9 years that it is dead money. I have always worked hard

If you are working you won't get RA or RAS. You've two options, save for a deposit for a house privately or wait to see if you get offered a council house.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I'm confused: the first post said

"I applied for rent allowance bt was refused due to our rented accom being so unfit to live in."

If you were working then you would not have been able to apply for rent allowance.

Now, if you are working, then I am totally sympathetic to your situation: it is crazy that to qualify for housing assistance now you need to be unemployed, and that the only help available to low paid workers (including ones doing any temping tha they can get thier hands on) is council housing - which is scarce as hens teeth and getting scarcer due to tenant purchasing schemes.

But to give you good advice, we need to have some idea of the real story!

Why, exactly, are you not eligible for RAS?

And a thought for you. Do you know a journalist who might be willing to write a story about your situation? They type of publicity that might get some landlord to offer you a better house, who perhaps wouldn't have considred you otherwise

Advertisement