Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conger eels

Options
  • 08-02-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi was just wondering anyone know anywere good to catch a conger from shore?

Looking for a place around dublin wicklow area between there be best for me.

if anyone knows anywere please leave comment thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seller159 wrote: »
    Hi was just wondering anyone know anywere good to catch a conger from shore?

Looking for a place around dublin wicklow area between there be best for me.

if anyone knows anywere please leave comment thanks alot.

West pier in dunlaoighre can sometimes produce them. Not even a cast needed. Just drop a flapper at the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

There must be big resident conger in bullock harbour with all the fish heads etc. thrown in.

Parts of this video are good for reading a pier and where conger may lie, the presenter is a bit annoying at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twDPXomysQs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

West pier in dunlaoighre can sometimes produce them. Not even a cast needed. Just drop a flapper at the wall

Oh really iv never tryed there before only ever fished there once few years ago so ill have to give it a try:). Would you say in the harbour or of the back of the harbour be best? Also what time of the day is best or there do you know?

Thanks
    Alex

There must be big resident conger in bullock harbour with all the fish heads etc. thrown in.

Parts of this video are good for reading a pier and where conger may lie, the presenter is a bit annoying at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twDPXomysQs

Must try there too:) thanks. Iv acc seen that video already cheers and yes he does get a bit annoying but he ok :)

Thanks
    Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

The rocks around the Poolbeg Lighthouse were always a great spot for conger.
    Well worth a try!

• Advertisement

skipper756 wrote: »
    The rocks around the Poolbeg Lighthouse were always a great spot for conger.
    Well worth a try!

Yeah i will give it a go. I plan out heading out tomorrow in weather not to bad:)

What bait do you recomend for catching them? I have a few whiting at home woukd you say they be ok for it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Yeah i will give it a go. I plan out heading out tomorrow in weather not to bad:)

What bait do you recomend for catching them? I have a few whiting at home woukd you say they be ok for it?

Thanks

Whiting will do but macks would be better.
    I dont know the area but the winds are meant to be 20/23mph and gusting to nearly 40mph in poolbeg tomorrow night. Not exactly rock fishing weather. Id pick a sheltered pier or stay at home if i was you!

Yeah there's bad weather ahead again so if leave it mate. The conger will still be there another day. Not worth getting battered at sea for a fish.
    A flapper mackerel is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Oh really iv never tryed there before only ever fished there once few years ago so ill have to give it a try:). Would you say in the harbour or of the back of the harbour be best? Also what time of the day is best or there do you know?

Thanks
    Alex

Nighttime tends to be more productive congor fishing. Also the more scent on the bait the better.

.red. wrote: »
    Whiting will do but macks would be better.
    I dont know the area but the winds are meant to be 20/23mph and gusting to nearly 40mph in poolbeg tomorrow night. Not exactly rock fishing weather. Id pick a sheltered pier or stay at home if i was you!

Will they grand then and ill pick ul some mack aswell just to have something diffrent with me.

Yeah they say weather is to be bad but theu always say that an it does ne fine lol ill how it is later and ill give it ago maybe

Thanks for that

• Advertisement

Nighttime tends to be more productive congor fishing. Also the more scent on the bait the better.
    Does it ok cheers

Any one know the best set up to use on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Does it ok cheers

Any one know the best set up to use on them?

I always use a running ledger with an elastic band holding on the lead. 150lb mono at least or else wire hook length. I use 7/0 kamasans because they will rust away quickly if you leave a hook in one and you will lose some. If your pier fishing check it out at low water and look for any cracks in the pier or if the pier was extended where the joining is, this is where they will be and to finish throw the bait out far enough that they will have to come fully out of their lair to take the bait, I learned that one from experience. The first conger I ever caught was at least 25lb from the local pier and I lost it trying to drag it up the steps so bring a drop net!! I'm still kicking myself over that. Hooked it a few times after but never managed to land it. Still haven't managed a decent one from the rock marks but have caught countless straps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Mackerel heads will take more conger than flappers IMO.

They're also more durable and can be reused for several casts.

Howth harbour has some decent conger but you need very strong equipment to deal with them coming from between rocks or off the pier...the chances are you wont be able to haul a 3-footer up anything very steep so bring a drop net as has been said.

I always use a running ledger with an elastic band holding on the lead. 150lb mono at least or else wire hook length. I use 7/0 kamasans because they will rust away quickly if you leave a hook in one and you will lose some. If your pier fishing check it out at low water and look for any cracks in the pier or if the pier was extended where the joining is, this is where they will be and to finish throw the bait out far enough that they will have to come fully out of their lair to take the bait, I learned that one from experience. The first conger I ever caught was at least 25lb from the local pier and I lost it trying to drag it up the steps so bring a drop net!! I'm still kicking myself over that. Hooked it a few times after but never managed to land it. Still haven't managed a decent one from the rock marks but have caught countless straps.

Thanjs alot for thay very helpful :).

Do you know any decent spots between wicklow and dublin to catch them from shore?

chopper6 wrote: »
    Mackerel heads will take more conger than flappers IMO.

They're also more durable and can be reused for several casts.

Howth harbour has some decent conger but you need very strong equipment to deal with them coming from between rocks or off the pier...the chances are you wont be able to haul a 3-footer up anything very steep so bring a drop net as has been said.

Thanks alot. Im building up a few bits for conger as id love to start fishing them:) what kinda rod reel would you reckemend?

Thanks alot. Im building up a few bits for conger as id love to start fishing them:) what kinda rod reel would you reckemend?

A short boat road and multiplier would do as you dont need to cast very far out.

A short boat road and multiplier would do as you dont need to cast very far out.

Ok cheers for that :)

Anyone ever try bray for conger or bulock?

Ok cheers for that :)

Anyone ever try bray for conger or bulock?

Where you get a harbour with rocks you will get conger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Thanjs alot for thay very helpful :).

Do you know any decent spots between wicklow and dublin to catch them from shore?

I'm on the other side of the country so can't help you there man. Best of luck anyway and stick up a pic if you get one!

Where you get a harbour with rocks you will get conger.

Dunlaoighre docks were the boats and ships dock has to hold some monsters. Before the band stand there's deep water and just looks like it'd hold big congers.
    Worth a shot.
    Also a tip if your on a boat go near the lobster pots and you may snag a conger or two as lobster pots are usually around rocky grounds and it's were congers will lay.
    Wa told this last year and lost one that day on a flapper

• Advertisement

I'm on the other side of the country so can't help you there man. Best of luck anyway and stick up a pic if you get one!

Ok no problem and i will do :)

Dunlaoighre docks were the boats and ships dock has to hold some monsters. Before the band stand there's deep water and just looks like it'd hold big congers.
    Worth a shot.
    Also a tip if your on a boat go near the lobster pots and you may snag a conger or two as lobster pots are usually around rocky grounds and it's were congers will lay.
    Wa told this last year and lost one that day on a flapper

Really iv never went out dun laoighare fishing only a few years back once or twice. I think ill give it a try over the weekend if get decent day for it :) be worth the try iv been dieing to catch a nice conger :)

Advertisement